Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

Need help rigging 30 amp

So.... I have a jacuzzi shower unit that is rated at 3000 watts / 27.3 amps. But the romex is run and drywall/paint finished. No way can i run 100' of 10awg now.

But I do have two runs of 12awg available. I know its not code. So this will be rigging. Is it possible to pair up the two 12awg to a single 30 amp outlet?

CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Need help rigging 30 amp

Btw, each 12awg is connected to a 20 amp gfci breaker.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

With no way to run a new cable as you stated you will not be using the tub. Sorry.

You cannot parallel conductors that small.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #4

Need help rigging 30 amp

Thanks. There is no turning back on the tub either. I'll just use it at 20 amp and reset the breaker whenever it fails.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

You're right...it's not code. And I don't think any electrician on this site would advise that you do what you propose. Our advise is to do it safely and correctly, and that means installing the correct wire gauge/branch circuit material as recommended by the manufacturer.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Need help rigging 30 amp

How about this rig job? Replace the two 20 amp gfci's with a single 20 amp 2-pole gfci. Then have two 20 amp gfci outlets.

Then splice two plugs onto the tubs power cord and plug each into it's own outlet?

I know it's wrong. Just asking for help choosing the least wrong of all the wrong choices.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

Sorry...wrong is still wrong. 1% wrong is just as bad as 100% wrong.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Sorry...wrong is still wrong. 1% wrong is just as bad as 100% wrong.
Isn't one wronger?

This is said in jest. I in no way advocate trying to circumvent safety.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ DIY View Post
How about this rig job? Replace the two 20 amp gfci's with a single 20 amp 2-pole gfci. Then have two 20 amp gfci outlets.

Then splice two plugs onto the tubs power cord and plug each into it's own outlet?

I know it's wrong. Just asking for help choosing the least wrong of all the wrong choices.
To even begin to help you hack something like this up is beyond irresponsible. ESPECIALLY since this is for a shower/tub.

Do you even realize what is at stake??????

WHY in the world would something rated at 3000 watts be made to run at 120V??? Can you exchange the steam unit alone?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Need help rigging 30 amp

Wire up one of your #12 cables for 240 Volts. Then install a 3 kVA 240x120 transformer, and change it back to 120 Volts at the shower connection. Problem solved.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Scared Electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

Why is it impossible to run new wire???!!?? It can be done with little or no drywall damage. What is the nature of the house construction and where is the panel?

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

Red face

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
So.... I have a jacuzzi shower unit that is rated at 3000 watts / 27.3 amps. But the romex is run and drywall/paint finished. No way can i run 100' of 10awg now.

But I do have two runs of 12awg available. I know its not code. So this will be rigging. Is it possible to pair up the two 12awg to a single 30 amp outlet?
You can do parallel conductors depending local codes, it is not recommended as you can not guarantee that under a fault(short) they maintain being connected under the terminals. In case that you can assure a solid terminals connection and with no breaks in the path along with assuring equal sizes and lengths of conductors to be parallel.
I highly recommend you to even go to size 8 AWG to assure a good life for your cable for long time trouble free usage.
I do not recommend at all to use parallel runs of cables.
If it is attended, short cycles usages with parallel conductor requirements by local codes such as equal length, sizes etc. and the fact that you would guarantee no breakage of system under load at terminals or between, then I believe you could use. Make sure that the cable is not run in a combustible area either.
Use a timer that is good and operative could guarantee disconnection after some time.
Hassan Hashemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Hashemi View Post
You can do parallel conductors depending local codes, it is not recommended as you can not guarantee that under a fault(short) they maintain being connected under the terminals. In case that you can assure a solid terminals connection and with no breaks in the path along with assuring equal sizes and lengths of conductors to be parallel.
I highly recommend you to even go to size 8 AWG to assure a good life for your cable for long time trouble free usage.
If it is attended, short cycles usages with parallel conductor requirements by local codes such as equal length, sizes etc. and the fact that you would guarantee no breakage of system under load at terminals or between, then I believe you could use. Make sure that the cable is not run in a combustible area either.
Use a timer that is good and operative could guarantee disconnection after some time.
What codes are you referring to??? Not anything in the US I can say. Paralleling #12 is not legal or safe in ANY installation I can think of.

In one breath you say it can be done, then you say you would never recommend it, then you go on to explain how it can be done.
What is your story???
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Hashemi View Post
Under the NEC you cannot parallel conductors smaller than 1/0. The OP has conductors much smaller than 1/0 so paralleling is definitely out.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Need help rigging 30 amp

Quote:
Um, no. First, that will instantly trip both GFCIs (any parallel combination of GFCIs will trip immediately on applying a load). Second, if either plug comes loose, the prongs would be hot. Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. Don't.

I did something similar once with three plugs, one for each phase on a 3-phase system. That was in a high-voltage physics lab with 12,000-volt transformers, and it was still a dangerously bad idea.

Quote:
In this case, it is virtually certain that doing it right is easier than screwing it up. Fish the new wire through the attic.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote