Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #1

Share |
Question

need help with problem

This is my first post. Hope someone can help. There are 3 outlets in bedroom. Using clock face, the 3:00 wall outlet is wired to a switch. It works fine. There are three romex cables to the outlet: power, switch, and "no. 3 line", presumably the line that goes to the other outlets, which are dead. At one time (year ago) they all worked. Outlet on 12:00 wall has two cables to it; outlet on 9:00 wall has only one cable, so I think that is the end of the line. With power off, I hooked a jumper wire to the black wire of "no. 3 line". I have continuity to the 12:00 outlet. However, when I hook jumper wire to the white wire of "no. 3 line", there is no continuity. I don't understand how this is even possible, but it must be the problem. Is the only fix to run a new cable to replace the "no. 3 line"? should I hook up a jumper from the "no. 3 line" ( both white and black) and confirm that that will make the outlets on both the 12:00 and 9:00 walls hot before running a line? I am stumped and grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.
tool guy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #2

need help with problem

Do the other outlest work when the switch is on?
Have you pulled the #12 outlet & verified the wires are tightly connected?
Since you have verified 2 cables I assume you have

Its possible there was a cut/partial break in the white wire that has now failed

Do the lines run thru the walls, attic or basement?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #3

need help with problem

Did someone retro install a ceiling fan in that room (or another room close by)?

They may have installed a junction in tha attic and the white wire connection has come loose.

Freaking homeowners
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

need help with problem

thanks for the reply. The wires run through the walls. None of the outlets works if the switch is off. This is original 33 year old wiring. I don't know how there could be a partial break in the white wire. I guess I will run a new wire behind the baseboard.
tool guy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

need help with problem

Keep looking before you run new cable. Look for signs of work being done, patches in the drywall along the path. Wires almost never fail in the middle of a run.

Try your continuity test between black and white (power off) between 3:00/12:00 and 12:00/ 9:00 and 3:00/switch.

Disconnect everything and make sure you are on the right pair of wires.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
zpm
yeah, right

need help with problem

Also check outlets in the adjoining rooms. The cable that exits the 3:00 outlet may go somewhere else before it gets to the 12:00 outlet.