Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with outdoor wall lights install

I am installing 3 wall lights on the outside of my garage. To run the wire to the outside of the garage columns, I will need to drill SIDEWAYS through one of five sandwiched 2x4's, which make up a supporting beam for each of the three garage door spans. I plan to use a 3/8 inch masonry drill to first drill through the outside brick and continue through the supporting beam of 2x4's.
My question is: By drilling a 3/8" hole SIDEWAYS through a 2x4 stud, would'nt that weaken the stud substantially, even though it is sandwiched between several other studs? Does the electrical Code address this issue?
Also, based on some of your recommendations earlier, I plan to use a "pancake" fixture box to wire the lights. Since the lights will all be wired together, the first two will, of course, need to hold 2 wires (one in and one out). Can a pancake box (per Code) accommodate 2 wires?
Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

The 3/8" hole is okay, and if best, try to keep it in the middle. If you can get away going a little farther over, that may help to not drill through the Jackstuds. The boxes for outdoor use, have to be Weather-Tight, that use a gasket if possible, use the Plastic Outdoor boxes.

If you live in an area that has a Home Owner's Association, make sure that you meet their criterias.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

A 3/8" hole is no big deal at all. It has to be at least 5/8" from the edge of the stud, preferably centered. Actually, you could drill half the width of the studs out without violating a code or substantially affecting the studs' strength.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

For the wire size in the pancake box it will depending on which pancake box you will be using they useally come in either 3 or 4 inch diamaiter.

But with 1/2 inch thick pancake box if 3 inch diam they are only listed for one set of 14 gauge cable in only but 4 inch it may squeak by with two 14's cables [ I don't have the book with me right now but IIRC they are only can take two the most with 14 but 12's it willbe single cable ]

Merci,Marc

P.S. some luminaire do have pretty good size canpony or sorta oversized room then you can able get more in as long they are listed for the size in there.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote