Need Help Mapping New Light Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Need help mapping new light circuit

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of finishing the basement and I'm running a new circuit for lighting between 2 rooms. I'm planning to run 14/2 from the panel. Each room will have only 1 switch with multiple lights. Power will be run first to the light in room 1. From there I'd like to run to a) the remaining lights in the room with the switch at the end of this run and b) to room 2 with the same configuration. My question is do I have to run 14/3 at any point on this run? How do I break off the same circuit for the second room?

Advertisement

djinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

I would suggest studying the section in the NEC regarding branch circuits, and picking up a book, such as Black & Decker's Complete home wiring guide.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Run a power cable to the 1st light in the 1st room.
Then from there run a power cable to the 1st light in the 2nd room.

Now you have power at the 1st lights in each room!

Next run a wire from the switch in the 1st room to the 1st light in the 1st room.

And run a wire from the switch in the 2nd room to the 1st light in the 2nd room.

Now you can turn on/off power to the 1st lights in each room with their respective switches!

Next in the 1st room, run a wire from the 1st light to the 2nd light. Then a wire from the 2nd light to the 3rd light, etc.

And in the 2nd room, run a wire from the 1st light to the 2nd light. Then a wire from the 2nd light to the 3rd light, etc.

Now you have wires run to connect all the lights in "parallel" in each room.

Hint: There is a LOT of room in light fixture electrical boxes to connect several wires together, but not much room in the electrical box where the switch goes.

Hint 2: Label each wire at both ends. Then you will know what all the wires go to after the drywall is up.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
djinlondon (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

If you’re on the 2011 code cycle, and you run power to the lights first, you’ll need to run 14/3 from the light to the switch box, to get the neutral to the switch box. Easy way to avoid that is to run power to the switch box first, using at least a 18 cu in box for the switch boxes. A 20 cu in works nice.

14/2 from the panel to switch box 1, 14/2 from switch box 1 to switch box 2. 14/2 from sw bx 1 to light, 14/2 from sw bx 2 to light. Daisy chain lights together.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
djinlondon (10-18-2011)