Need Help With Kitchen Lighting! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Need help with kitchen lighting!

I’m trying to wrap up the wiring in my kitchen remodel project and I’m kind of stumped now that I’m trying to plan the lighting circuit. I want this to be a 15A circuit controlling 4 can lights, 2 bar pendant lights, and a ceiling mounted exhaust fan for the range. I want 3 wall switches on the circuit, with each separately controlling either the can lights, pendant lights, or exhaust fan.

The pendant lights are such that they must each be at the end of a run.

I may also decide to add one more switch to separately control some under cabinet lights if we decide those will fit in the budget. But I can figure that out later. For now, I just want to figure it out with the 3 switches as described above.

Based on the drawing below, does everything look in order? I apologize for my horrible drawing but hopefully you can understand what I am trying to do. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

*edit*These are single pole switches - that 3rd screw is the ground screw. Also, only the hot wires are shown pigtailed in the drawing. The grounds and neutrals will be spliced as necessary.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with kitchen lighting!-kitchen-lighting-2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by dc4nomore; 12-15-2008 at 03:28 PM.
dc4nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

why are you using 12-2 and 14-2?

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Voltage drop, of course!
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Six lights, plus two other sets of switches to __, plus an exhaust fan (which will draw more with wear and gumming up) seems like a lot if they are all going to be used all at the same time(a party). I'm not an electrician, but the fan might have to be seperated for code.
Have you figured the total wattage?

When I changed out my condo cans to surface mount florescents, the wires inside were burnt down to exposed copper because people were using 100W+ bulbs in them and were stuffed with insulation. Make sure they can breathe.

Last edited by Stillwerkin; 12-15-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
why are you using 12-2 and 14-2?
I normally try to use all 12/2, to minimize the voltage drop and to have the option of upgrading to a 20A circuit. But I have to use 14/2 for the pendant lights - due to cubic in. restrictions in the small pancake style box that I'm using.

I've got a 250 ft roll of 14/2 sitting around, and I figure if I'm ever going to use it on anything, it would be on lighting, so I might as well use it for the individual runs. I'm using the 12/2 for the main feed line all the way to the service panel to minimize voltage drop only, because this circuit will never be increased to a 20A.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwerkin View Post
Six lights, plus two other sets of switches to __, plus an exhaust fan (which will draw more with wear and gumming up) seems like a lot if they are all going to be used all at the same time(a party). I'm not an electrician, but the fan might have to be separated for code.
Have you figured the total wattage?
The exhaust fan is not a typical range hood, it is very similar to a bathroom exhaust fan, and only draws 1.5A, or 180W. The wattage rating for each can light is 50W max and for each pendant light, 60W max.

Therefore, the total wattage will be 500W if everything is used at once.

There is always the chance of adding under-cabinet lighting and one more switch to control it, but I don't think that would increase the total wattage too much.

I could put the fan on a separate circuit if code required, but would prefer not to to save on wire and space in the service panel. Anyone else know if code requires it to be separated?

Thanks a lot for your guys' help so far!

Advertisement