Need Help Installing New 240V Oven - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need help installing new 240V oven

The house we bought had a 240V wall oven. We bought a new one which I installed. When I pulled out the old oven, the oven was wired to a junction box which had 3 screw-type fuses which I believe was rated at 10amp each (30 amp total).

My question is whether the fuses are mandatory? What if I connect the red/black/white/ground from the incoming 240V wire from wall directly to the same colored wires from the oven? Why would I need the fuses since the wire from the wall is connected to breakers anyway?

Thanks

Advertisement

DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
...the oven was wired to a junction box which had 3 screw-type fuses which I believe was rated at 10amp each (30 amp total).
Where are you located?
Something VERY weird is going on here

Quote:
Why would I need the fuses since the wire from the wall is connected to breakers anyway?
Is there ANOTHER electrical panel in your home?
That could be fuses or circuit breakers...

Start looking for an actual electrician.
You're probably going to need one soon.

hth

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Most likely TarheelTerp, they have a very old house. It would make sense to have fuses, if the house & oven dates back to early 70's/60's. I remember the Electric stove that my parents got, when we moved into our new house in 1975. It had two screw in fuses, that were for the two legs.

As for the OP, yes you can remove the panel with the fuses, no reason to have it, where you may forget, or the next person may not know about it, and just wire like you would with a newer setup, with just the breaker. Depending on how old that fuse panel is, hang it up in your workshop or garage for a conversation starter.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,608

most likley when electrial was upgraded they did not pull out oven ..just hooked feed line to new breaker ..not knowing there were fuses behind oven....yes you would not need them...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

edit,......
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Not disagreein',.....
But an investigation of exactly what's Upstream from there, is important, before goin' rippin', 'n tearin'....
Ya gotta have fuses or breakers somewhere...
The reason I left that it, is that I am figuring that someone upgraded the service upstream. On board ship, we had fuse panels in various compartments to service that area, but upstream either had a load center for a group of panels, or another fuse panel. The fuse panel that the OP has, I am guessing that it was secondary protection, which would have had to been there if the house originally had fused service, or if it did not, the person that installed the old stove, most likely did it for secondary protection, for only they know why.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,608

just a side thougth what is the rating on new oven....most are 40amp ?????
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick replies.

A few follow ups to your questions:

- house is mid 80s vintage
- it is a big house (5200sqft) so I have 3 elec panels (and wiring is modern)
- confirmed the wiring from elec panel is 2 joined 15amp breakers so I can 30 amps feeding the oven.
- confirmed the new oven is 40 amps. What are the consequences if I leave it as-is??? I assume at worst it will trip my breakers?? If I want to upgrade, is it as easy as buying 2 joined 20 amp and replacing the breakers at the panel, or will I need thicker wiring too? I know, you will ask what guage wiring I already have, but I do not know how to measure the guage and there is no writing on the wire??

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 516

If the circuit is fed with two joined 15A breakers, it's 15A, not 30. The new oven will likely trip the breaker as soon as it's turned on. You're probably going to need a new run of #8 wire from the breaker panel to the oven, and a double-pole 40A breaker in the panel.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,466

A few follow ups to your questions:

- house is mid 80s vintage
- it is a big house (5200sqft) so I have 3 elec panels (and wiring is modern)
-
Quote:
confirmed the wiring from elec panel is 2 joined 15amp breakers so I can 30 amps feeding the oven.
Nope you have 15 amps serving the oven. BTW that is really odd.

Quote:
- confirmed the new oven is 40 amps. What are the consequences if I leave it as-is??? I assume at worst it will trip my breakers??
Yep it's going to trip your breakers, ya ain't gonna be able to roast or bake anything...

You need to run an entire new branch circuit rated for 40 amps.

Quote:
If I want to upgrade, is it as easy as buying 2 joined 20 amp and replacing the breakers at the panel, or will I need thicker wiring too? I know, you will ask what guage wiring I already have, but I do not know how to measure the guage and there is no writing on the wire??
Nope you can't change breakers till you confirm the wire size but it isn't going to matter as the new oven takes 40 amps. You will need 40 amp wire.

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

A joined 15 amp breaker is a 2 pole breaker, and it is 15 amps, not 30.
I have never seen a wall oven use 240v 15 amp circuit.
You could not change the breaker unless the wiring is large enough.

You would need to replace the wire and breaker to get the 40 amps you need for the wall oven
Somewhere on that wire is the size.

I type way too slow!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #12

Sorry, my language with electronics is not perfect.

It is a 30amp breaker (it is engraved on the flipper switch). By saying it was joined 15 amps, I assumed they were 15 each as it is one big breaker. But again it is definately a 30 amp'er.

My previous wall oven had no issues with the 30 amp service, however not really sure what it was rated at. I googled the model but it is so old that there is nothing, and there is no stamp or tag on the old oven which provides the specs.

Knowing that the new oven is 40 amp, what will be my issues if I keep the 30 amp service?? If I want to upgrade, I assume I can buy a same size 40 amp breaker and just swap. Question will be whether the wiring will be adequate??

What guage of wire is needed for a 30 amp service and what guage for a 40 amp service. Is there an easy way then for me to confirm the guage of wiring I currently have?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 516

30A requires #10 wire, 40A requires #8. If the wiring is in a cable, the wire gauge should be printed on the outside. If it's individual wire in conduit, the wire gauge should be printed on the insulation, but may be hard to read.

If you can't figure it out, find a chunk of #10 wire somewhere to compare it to.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

The two pole 15 is only for 15 amps. You do not add them together.

Since you said the new oven requires 40 amps you will need new wiring back to the panel and a new breaker.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

DanDaMan .,

Did I catch this part that you have a 30 amp service for the whole house ??

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement