Need Help Identifying Breaker Switch Type - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Need help identifying breaker switch type

Hey guys, my mother has an old house built in 1946. There is a breaker in the sub panel that trips anytime you plug in an appliance such as a refrigerator or microwave. If you use an outlet on another breaker they dont trip. I assume the breaker is bad and needs to be replaced. The problem is that when I remove the cover plate, the breakers appear to be paired together with 2 breakers on one module. I wanted to see if anyone knows what Im looking at here. Does the whole panel need to be upgraded or can we swap out one breaker? And if we can, is it going to be hard to find such old parts? Thanks alot!

Heres a couple pics I found online along with a brief post from someone else with a very similar setup:

This is a sub panel in my mom's house. It is not the infamous stab lock type. It dates back to the early '50's when the house was built and inspected (note the bonding screw even though it's a subpanel) The main cable is an old style BX without a ground wire, so its resistance back to the service equipment may be too high to take a fault current at 50 amps. Thus I hesitate to remove that screw.

Never saw anywhere else 3 breakers as a single unit not intended for 3 phase service. They work well, once I was using an electric lawn mower outside, and my mom decided to have toast, both on the same 15 amp circuit. The breaker kicked out after a half minute, as I understand it, as designed.

Is it still code to connect a pair of main cables (one of which feeds another subpanel) like this? The inspector okayed it back in the '50's. I'm not inclined to mess with anything in this panel. I suppose it is grandfathered.

- wa2ise


Last edited by neo95hl; 03-30-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added photos
neo95hl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652

It trips, because the circuit has too much load on it. As for your question, what does the faceplate on the panel state in the first picture you posted? If she can afford to switch it out to a newer panel, along with meter base outside, and upgrade the wiring, it really depends on how deep her pocketbook is.


gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician
frenchelectrican's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000

I think I have see that before however I don't think they make that verison of breaker due there were few manufacters did share the same design in that era but it look like XO series but not sure.

I will suggest that you may want start thinking to get a new load centré anytime soon.

Ya got your money worth on the old load centré.

The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

breaker box , breaker pops

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circuit breaker Type Q vs QP orange Electrical 6 12-15-2010 03:35 PM
Murray main lug center - what type of tandem breaker? cl or ncl? plove79 Electrical 4 09-01-2010 08:08 PM
4 way switch confusion Richo Electrical 10 04-09-2009 07:11 AM
Basic Switch wiring question; Dimmer to Toggle switch (Pictures included) inspectator Electrical 8 08-07-2007 01:19 AM
neew light switch... on is ok(ish), off flips breaker Nat0570 Electrical 10 05-05-2007 05:02 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1