Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

Need help with household electrical

Haven't done much other than putting up new fixtures on the inside and the outside of the house, but I feel like I am up to some wiring...

So I want to install a floodlight, a coupleafew overhead t8 lights, some extra outlets long a wall for tools and a workbench, and i need to install a ceiling outlet for the garage door opener in my garage since the d-bag who was here before me decided to run an extension cord to one of the outlets. There isn't much in the way of pre-existing power in the garage.

Now I don't want to intimidate anyone but I used my MS Paint skills to draw a picture to make things clearer. Green dot is a lightswitch that controls the one light right above it, and X's are pre-existing outlets. What I want to know is:

Is it cool to sort of "tap into" that green dot lightswitch, pull it out and replace it with one with two switches and run the overhead shop lights on the other switch?

Can i do something similar to the X on the left side to get power to the opposite side of the door?

How should I go about wiring the floodlight? It will go on the other side of the garage door (outside of the house), over the garage door. Do those require any kind of special considerations? I'm also a floodlight virgin, do they run by motion detectors? Light detectors?

Does everything need to be GFCI?

What gauge wire should I use? 12?

I was kinda planning to run all of this stuff around the garage in conduit and metal boxes, because I kinda like the industrial look. I've been told that I have a pretty buff panel (200 amp? Too cold to check right now). What considerations on that end need to be made? THANKS!
Attached Images

Skeletor916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #2

Mods, please edit the title, might be offensive to some.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswires View Post
Mods, please edit the title, might be offensive to some.
On the other hand, nowadays there is no more obscenity or risque conduct. Plus, I think you have to be "old" to have any idea what this may once have meant.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

I was able to find an electrician to help me with my wiring projects. Basically he came out, listened to what I wanted and then told me where to pull all of the wires too, (what type of wire, what type of breaker etc.) I drilled all the holes, pulled all of the wire, wired up recepticals/switches/lights. Then I had him come back out and inspect all my work and connect everything up inside the panel. I paid him for an hour the first time he came out, and then a couple hours the return visit. His expected rate was $75.

I've had him come several times for several different projects. Yes I could hook it up in the panel, but this way I get the job inspected by someone who does this for a living, a receipt for his work and the peace of mind knowing it was done right and up to current code. Saved myself money, he earned easy money win win situation for all involved.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #5

I would have a 15 amp general lighting circuit and 2 20 amps for workbench.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #6

You need to check the existing lighting circuit to see what is already on that circuit. 15a 14g wire (1800w) or 20a 12g wire (2400w)?
Once your determine if you have spare power on that circuit then you can decide how to run things. You need to add up the ratings of all light fixtures on the circuit (MAX bulb allowed) - not the bulbs you are using. You are not supposed to go over the rating of the circuit. If there are any outlets on the existing lighting circuit then I would run a new 15a circuit

I'd also run (2) 20a 12g circuits out for the workbench
You can extend off of one or both of these for additional outlets
GFCI is required for Garage outlets, including the garage door opener under NEC 2008. I plan on putting a regular outlet on the ceiling - wired to the Load side of a GFCI on the wall. That way if it kicks out it can be easily reset

Are your walls open or sheetrocked/covered? If the circuit by the door is not overloaded then you can add on to it. I'll be insulating & rocking my garage to keep some heat in duringthe winter

You can put the floodlight on a motion detector, dusk to dawn sensor, or just a switch. I used a dual sensor at my last house. The lights would go to a "low" power setting - like a night light - then full brightness if motion was detected. It was a dark street
Current house we have a street light to the side of the lot- so I need very little outside lights

Metal boxes must all be grounded
Might be easier to run reg wire out to the 1st box (thru the wall?), then convert to individual wires in the conduit
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor916 View Post
I've been told that I have a pretty buff panel (200 amp? Too cold to check right now). What considerations on that end need to be made? THANKS!
Where is your panel at if it is to cold to check? Buff? That must be a new brand!

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

I changed the title of this thread. There's no need for phrasing the title in that manner.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #9

What was the title?
timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchi29 View Post
What was the title?
After removing it due to being inappropriate, we're not going to re-post it. Let's move on with the topic of the thread.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote