Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Help - House Electrical Issue

Recently anything connected to the house's electrical outlets has been losing power.

To elaborate, anything connected to the wall outlets exhibits signs of under voltage to the point of shutting down at times (only to come back on within a second). Issue occurs at all hours of day and night with hardly anything running at all -- no ACs or anything that would cause a heavy drain. The way I see the problem exhibit it self is I have desk lamp and an air purifier on and at random the lights will dim/flicker and the air cleaner fan will drop in RPMs, and at times shut off completely (only to restore within a second). Also, microwave's clock will reset (due to loss of power). Strangely, lighting doesn't seem to be affected... unless it's connected to an outlet. All the appliances are in different parts of the house.

As best as I can figure the whole house is affected, although I haven't tested this out.

Another tid bit of information... During the summer time the main breaker would become overloaded and trip (with not a whole lot running). I figured the problem was overheating since the breaker felt really hot and placing a fan in front of the breaker panel helped a lot. Not sure if this is related to the problems I'm experiencing now, but it could be.

Now for the question I need an answer to... what the hell is causing all this? Prior to this past summer this never happened. My guess is the main breaker needs to be replaced because it seems to be defective. There hasn't been any work done at the house as far as wiring. If someone can suggest some solution I'd greatly appreciate it.

nottimtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

You need someone to inspect your main panel right away.
The connection between the breakers and the buss bars (where the breakers get their power) is the likely culprit. Aluminum bars had a tendency to loosen and the power had to jump across to the breaker. This arc causes heat, heat causes fire.
Get your panel checked right away by someone who knows what they are doing.

StarGehzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds like something is loose. Could be the main breaker is loose or defective or it could be out at the service connections. I would get this checked out by an electrician right away to determine if it is in the panel or if it is outside. If everything checks out at the panel call the power company and have them check their connections.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote