Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help in hooking up outlet plugs

Hello everyone, I know nothing when it comes to wiring anything in my house so I could use a little help.. I have a few plugs that I would like to add to my basement and looking for someone to help me and explain how to prepare these outlets to be wired to the breaker box....

I will be running a small woodshop in the basement so I would like to be able to use these out lets without kicking the breaker all the time.. If I need to use 2 different breakers that would be fine..

what I am looking for is what type of wire would I have to buy, what type of breaker(s) would I have to buy, and how would I go about running the wire to each box so I have no problems using power without resetting breakers all the time.. My local big box store would be lowes or home depot..

I would like to have everything mounted and wires ready for the electrician to just have to hook the boxes to the breaker.. any and all help would be great....

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
need help in hooking up outlet plugs-basement-outlets.jpg  

JayDeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

Is this a finished basement or are you running the wiring and attaching to the block or concrete wall?
Are you 100% sure your not going to need 220 volts someplace later on for better quality equipment?
What's that one in the middle of the room for? Lighting?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #3

This basement is finished but the sockets are actually going to be attached to the ceiling along the walls.. There isn't enough room behind the wall to sit the sockets into the wall... When I finished the basement I just used furring strips as studs to just cover the concrete...

The socket in the middle is going to be used for the table saw mostly since that is the best location for it but also going to be uses to help cut down on extension cords when I need to plug in a sander or some other small item.. The basement is not big enough to go any bigger on the power tools that I have so I don't see needing a 220 outlet anytime soon...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeavor View Post
what I am looking for is what type of wire would I have to buy, what type of breaker(s) would I have to buy, and how would I go about running the wire to each box so I have no problems using power without resetting breakers all the time.. My local big box store would be lowes or home depot..
If you buy wire that means you are using EMT(conduit). Based on your statement that you know "nothing when it comes to wiring anything in my house", I would conclude that you do not know much about conduit bending either. So you cannot just run wire along walls and under joist. You need physical protection for the wires. The physical protection would be the EMT.

Now if you are planning on using cable(Romex) that is a different ball of wax.

You need to provide further information.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
This basement is finished but the sockets are actually going to be attached to the ceiling along the walls.. There isn't enough room behind the wall to sit the sockets into the wall...
What good are sockets going to do you at the ceiling level to provide power??
Attached Thumbnails
need help in hooking up outlet plugs-socket.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

Do you have a finished ceiling or are joist exposed?
Attached Thumbnails
need help in hooking up outlet plugs-copy-100_8022.jpg   need help in hooking up outlet plugs-copy-100_8030.jpg   need help in hooking up outlet plugs-100_8020.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
...I know nothing when it comes to wiring anything in my house...

I would like to have everything mounted and wires ready for the electrician to just have to hook the boxes to the breaker

Jay
Do you DIYers even read what you post? You admit you know nothing about wiring, but you are going to try to find an electrician to hook up the work you do to a power source. Good luck finding a licensed electrician to do that and take liability.

Mark
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #8

okay let me see if I can try to some everything up here.. The ceiling has joist exposed and I have no intentions in bringing the outlets down the wall so I shouldn't have to use conduit. The wire I was intending to use was indeed romex wire. I am guessing I would have to use type 10/2 since I do not need 220 volts... As for the licensed electrician, I happen to know 2 of them that I talked to a while back about connecting everything up for me when I got everything ready and they did not have a problem with it if I had everything ready for them..

My question was how would I connect the outlets together as far as just running the wire to have it ready for the electrician to connect each outlet and the type of wire that I would need to purchase from either lowes or home depot
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

Given your lack of familiarity with electrical it might behoove you just to let the pros do what they know instead of installing things and hoping you get it right. You might pay more to have them correct any mistakes you make over just leeting them have the whole job.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #10

Simplest way is one cable in to bring power to the receptacle at that box, then one cable out to take power to the next receptacle.

One plus one equals two cables per box.

Taking into account the geometry of the room in relation to the receptacle placement will most likely from a professional's point of view the pro will be able to minimize cable waste.
Attached Thumbnails
need help in hooking up outlet plugs-gfci-outlet-box.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 01-31-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,062

Nothing scares me more than threads like this one. If you know nothing about working with electricity and wiring, DON'T DO IT! Messed up plumbing can get you wet; messed up electrical can get you dead.

There is an excellent little book called "Wiring Simplified" you should buy and read. It's sold in any big box store, and is usually found in the electrical aisle, not where the other books are. It costs something like $12.00.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #12

for some reason others are NOT reading the original post correctly.... I am NOT hooking the boxes up by any means... I know nothing about wiring and that was stated... being that I know nothing I wouldn't even tempt to try hooking anything up.... running the wires to each box to have it ready is completely different than attaching the wires to the outlets.... The original post was just to ask a question of what would be the best way to just run the wires to each box to have everything ready for the electrician to connect the wires to the breaker box and the outlets.. I thought this was a DIY site where people could go for help not criticism... I guess I was wrong...

hammerlane: Thanks for keeping focus and willing to help in any way you could... Now to just figure out which box to run the wire to first....
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Now to just figure out which box to run the wire to first....
Probobaly the box closest to the panel???
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
JayDeavor (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 540

You can't run the wires to the boxes without knowing how many circuits you need and which boxes will be on each circuit.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
MCB
sparky

Rewards Points: 25

If its at all helpful, looks as though you need 2 circuits at least, and definitely not 10/2 as in an earlier post. I use 14/2 for 15A cct and 12/2 for 20A ccts, whichever you decide to go with. Maybe it's spelled out for you depending on your location.

MCB is offline   Reply With Quote