Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Need help hanging a swag light

Hi! I have searched this forum for a completely satisfactory answer and have not yet found it. I have recently purchased a pendant light and wanted to install it as a swag light over my bar. I do NOT want to take the route of going into the ceiling and installing a junction box (I am renting, so want no damages to fix later). I want to install this as a swag light.
The light fixture has three wires coming from it, two are insulated (obviously hot and neutral), and also a bare ground wire. The swag kit has a 2-prong plug that goes into the wall outlet (basically a lamp cord). The question is: what is to be done with the ground wire?

1). Do nothing, the 2-prong plug completely does the job of grounding the fixture.

2). Tie the grounding wire off to any metal portion of the light fixture.

3). Use electrical tape to secure it to where the wire nuts are connecting the fixture's wires and the swag kit's wires.

4). Leave it hanging loose. Square up last will and testament. Stand in filled kiddie pool wearing a suit of armor. Take firm hold of metal fixture. Enjoy new hairdo.

5). Complex alternative using lingo a layman wouldn't understand and would probably screw up, burning down the entire neighborhood. Call a professional.

I have seen the first three answers on this or other forums, more or less the fourth answer and fifth answer too.

DSCady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Need help hanging a swag light

Without cutting the ground wire, weave it or otherwise make it blend into the fixture chain, or curl it up inside the fixture if there is space, without connecting it to anything.

So long as there are no defects in the fixture causing bare live wire or live parts to touch the framework of the fixture, everything is safe. If you are really pananoic, you can install a ground fault interrupter unit as the receptacle where you are plugging the fixture into (unless there is already a GFCI unit upstream). This will protect people against electric shock due to a defect that formed in the fixture, or mishandling of the fixture.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-20-2012 at 05:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote