Need Help In Finding 3" Recessed Light Housing For 1 1/8" Inch Ceiling Thickness - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Need help in finding 3" recessed light housing for 1 1/8" inch ceiling thickness

I will cut to the chase. For our ceiling, we are installing a 5/8" dry wall, together with 1/2" soundproofing. This gives our ceiling a total of 1 1/8" thickness.

It turns out that the Eurofase 3" housing that I was going to use is not compatible with anything beyond the standard 5/8" thinkness. Basically, you cannot set the trim properly and it will not snap-in.

After doing much research, I can only find one brand/model which is adjustable for ceiling thickness of 1/2" up to 1 1/2". It is Halo H36TAT. It is sold at Home Depot and I have heard unkind things about the long-term quality of this device.

Can anyone recommend any other brand (model) options that I may have? My wife and I definately want to have the soundproof later installed. We will be using 50-watt GU10 line-voltage lights.

Thank you in advance for your input / advice.

Advertisement

mystiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,320

Need help in finding 3" recessed light housing for 1 1/8" inch ceiling thickness

Where have you heard about the long term quailty?

I use nothing but halo, but have never used this type, and never had problems.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,832

Why not cut a larger hole like maybe 5-6" in the material above the finish drywall? That way the clips only need to grab the 1/2 or 5/8 thickness.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Why not cut a larger hole like maybe 5-6" in the material above the finish drywall? That way the clips only need to grab the 1/2 or 5/8 thickness.
Unfortuantely, that doesn't work as we have already tried that.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Where have you heard about the long term quailty?

I use nothing but halo, but have never used this type, and never had problems.
I guess my electrician "poo-pooed" the brand, but I have not found anything that is bad about Halo myself. I guess the fact that it is sold in Home Depot, it turns a lot of people off.

I guess since I don't have a transformer (since this is line voltage), then I guess it either works or not out of the box.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiky View Post
I guess my electrician "poo-pooed" the brand, but I have not found anything that is bad about Halo myself. I guess the fact that it is sold in Home Depot, it turns a lot of people off.

I guess since I don't have a transformer (since this is line voltage), then I guess it either works or not out of the box.
I think you are right about being sold at HD.
That means less quailty for some people, but Halo makes great cans.

Advertisement