Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Need help choosing/understanding AC adapters.

Hello everyone,
I would like to thank you in advance...
First of all, I am currently living in South Korea and so with the language barrier here I just can't seem to
find anyone who understands my problem (or should I say someone who cares). I also spent a few hours searching
online but failed.
Anyways, I am finished building an aquarium canopy and I wanted to add some computer fans to keep the
temperature/moisture down. I also wanted to add some LED lighting for moon lights.

A computer fan is rated at 12v with rated current at 0.08A (for example).
So I know I need a 12v adapter, but which one? I don't understand the 1a, 2a, 3a, etc on the adapters...
Also, would I be able to run more than one fan from the same adapter? or would the adapter change depending on how many fans/lights I want to install?

If someone could explain the rated current(fan) in relation to the 1a, 2a, 3a, etc (adapter)... if they are related in anyway, it would be really helpful.

I would also like to add a 12v LED strip (made for cars) to the same adapter. Looking online it doesn't show any rated current so I'm a little confused.

Sorry for the confusing post. I just don't want to burn my house down :?

Thanks again. Cheers!

oh btw, South Korean outlets are 220v

Mister2sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Add up the rated current (amperage) of all your fans. You need an AC adapter rated for at least that amperage.

McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

In your example you said a 12 volt fan at .o8A (rated current). Let's say you want 4 fans, 4 times .08A equals .32A. You would want to get an adapter that has a rated output of 12 volts at at least .32A. An adapter with an output of 12 volts at 1 amp would handle the load of approx 12 fans. 1 divided by .08 = 12.5. You can run as much or as little equipment you want as long as the total amperage does not exceed the rated amperage.

I generally like to have the output "A" (rated current) of an adapter at least 1 times the total of the loads attached. For example 4 fans @.08A = .32 amps another device @1A= 1.32A. 1.32 times 1= 1.98 so I would use an adapter with a rated out put of 12V @ 2A.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Also you need to get an adapter that outputs AC or DC depending on what the fans need. (Most computer fans use DC).

For a DC fan, if it rotates the wrong way, exchange the two wires connecting it to the power source.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #5

totally makes sense! thanks a lot guys!!!
you guys made it easy to understand.
Mister2sc is offline   Reply With Quote