Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
AOP

Share |

Need Help Changing an Old Outlet

Can someone please help me?.... I am in the process of changing an old electrical outlet. My house is about 32 years old and I noticed that it has 2 red wires and 3 black ones as opposed to the 3 white ones. I tried to connect them but most outlets have 4 connectors for hot and 4 for the neutral ones. I also noticed that after I connected it, it affected my light switch on the wall which is controlled by the outlet next to the one I am working on. What am I doing wrong?

AOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
the Musigician

if it's one red in one black in, one red out, two black out, pigtail the two blacks or mount one in hole and one to screw, it should return the switch to it's correct working condition. i ran across the same problem once.
the whole idea is to return the outlet to it's original configuration with a different outlet. just watch what comes from where and do the same thing on the new.
DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 09-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Where are you located? I know in the UK "black" is the neutral where in the US it is white. Red is a common Hot or "live" wire in the UK. It would be rather odd if this is in the US and there are no white wires in this outlet box at all.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
the Musigician

i'd guess uk as well, but if he does it the same as the old one, all should be well.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOP View Post
Can someone please help me?.... I am in the process of changing an old electrical outlet. My house is about 32 years old and I noticed that it has 2 red wires and 3 black ones as opposed to the 3 white ones. I tried to connect them but most outlets have 4 connectors for hot and 4 for the neutral ones. I also noticed that after I connected it, it affected my light switch on the wall which is controlled by the outlet next to the one I am working on. What am I doing wrong?
Are one or more of the plugs on the outlet controled by the light switch? i.e. for pluging in lamps you can turn on/off with the wall switch? This sounds like what is going on to me.

I would suggest you take a look at the wires on another outlet in the room as your guide.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOP View Post

I belive this Poster is in North America area.

Now let down to the bussiness real quick.,

The white is netural conductor

The black useally a hot conductor { unswitched }

The red is useally switched hot conductor

you will need to make a pigtail each one { Red , Black and White }

Pigtail the red then do the same thing with black pigtail it also the white wire.

Before you go anyfurther with this one do you have the old receptale ? if so fine use that for refernce point.

Normally for half switched repectale it is common to break the small brass tab between the brass coloured screw DO NOT mess around the tab between the silver screws that part it will be used for netural circuit.

The white wire will go to silver screw while the red go one of the brass screw then a black wire go to other brass screw that will work for this set up but for full switched dupex receptale check with your old receptale if you have it otherwise useally red wire is switched wire you hook up to brass screw while white wire is used for netural that go to silver screw.
The black wire for this set up do not hook up to the receptale at all.

Keep in your mind this will go either way depending on the set up what you want to go.

The instruction is explained in both half and full switched receptales.

If more question just holler here.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #7

I'm sorta confused here.... From the OP, it seems as if you only have 5 wires (2-R, 3-B) in the box. Marc thinks you actually have 8. Marc's description of hooking up a switched receptacle is spot on. Did the switch control more than one outlet (or halves of outlets. Hence the two switched red "legs.")? pete

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote