Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need help with ceiling light wiring. PHOTOS included

I took down a “fan with light” that has two independent switches on the wall. Standard stuff.

We are switching this out for a single light with no fan. Not surprisingly, the new light comes standard with a black, white, and grounding wires. Standard stuff.

Here's where it gets tricky (for me). Normally, I would have expected a single 14-3 wire coming into the ceiling box, but when I opened it up, it has not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 wires coming into it.

The other curve ball is that one of the wires coming into the box is 14-3, but the red wire was simply snipped and doesn't go anywhere (E). Probably a code violation.

The four black wires (B) are wire nutted together and did not run to the old device.

The old light/fan was using the two white connections (A, D) and grounding nuts (C). The old light/fan did not have a grounding wire, so they must have been running the neutral wire to the grounding (C)???

(I was not paying that much attention when I removed the old fan. The only thing I am POSITIVE of is that I did not remove anything from B... the four black wires were simply nutted together and not running to the device)

Now I am just trying to figure out where to run my black and where to run my white for the new simply light.

Any help you can throw my way is appreciated!

http://img121.imageshack.us/i/photowzc.jpg/

FirstAndTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Electrician

Sounds like they did some switch loops for the light/ceiling fan. So you probably have power comeing in, power going somewhere else, and your two switch loops for the ceiling fan/light.

You will have to figure out which cables are used as the switch loops. One can be disconnected and capped off with some marrets, I would not cut it short but leave it in the box incase you or someone else wants to put a ceiling fan back in.

Then your black from your feed goes to the black of the power going out and the white of your switch loop.

The white from your feed goes to the white of the power going out and the white of the light.

The black from your switch loop would go onto the black of the light.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Thank you!!!
FirstAndTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #4

Tip for diy
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags