Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need help with ceiling fan in peak

I'm having my new home built and had several fan rough-ins installed, including one in my morning room. The rough-in was installed by the electricians right at the peak of the roof as shown below. They used a metal fan rough-in box which now protrudes through the drywall. My issue is I do not know how I'm going to install a fan onto the box and have the box cover sit flush with the ceiling since I have two angles (basically a wedge) to deal with. Anyone have experience with this or know if the there is a wedge adapter that goes around the electrical box that sits flush on the sloped ceiling sides and provides a flat surface at the box bottom to mount the fan? I was thinking that if I had to, I could maybe build one out of wood and paint it...kind of like I drew up in the third picture. Thoughts?

Last edited by reb162; 07-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.
reb162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

dang electricians. always doing work like this. (that's a joke. I am an electrician by trade)

Your fix is as good as anything. The only problem is: when you place the cover (the part of the fan that is against the ceiling) up there, your block may need to be so big that there is a lot of room between the box and the face of your filler block. The electrical box must be flush with the surface of a flammable material.

I would rather have used a box that is made for this particular installation (like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1) or mounted the box to one side of the peak

I was looking a bit more and I did run across this thing http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions...wish they had used that mount in your first link...its pretty much exactly what I was thinking about but its meant for new construction and mine is already installed. Your second link did not work...any chance you could fix it so I can see what you were talking about? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

I think I found the answer (maybe this is what you were linking to). Arlington industries makes this adapter plate for cathedral ceilings, just like I was planning to make...I think it will work.

https://images.tradeservice.com/gjPi...GC00004_M2.pdf
Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

yep, that was what I attempted to show you.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote