Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Share |

Need help on breaker panel

Ok, a year or so ago some "electricians" upgraded my dads service from 100 amp to 200amp, these guys really butchered this job up but the worst thing they did was locate the panel DIRECTLY UNDER A TOILET FLANGE....a toilet flange that has been there since 1962.....and it was leaking (not at the time they installed the panel but shortly after i guess)....anyway , water ran down and in the panel, main breaker is corroded pretty bad as is the first 5 or 6 breakers so im wanting to put in a new panel....my question (yes, i finally got there) is if i mount a new panel close to the old one can i somehow jump power to the new one while i move stuff over? The reason is this will take me a VERY long time as i just have to do it one wire at a time and untangle their mess at the same time and i didnt want power off to his house that long.......
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
bbo

depending on your location, you wouldn't be able to work on someone else's house unless you were licensed electrician.

you will most likely have to get the poco out to shut off the power while you move the power from one to the other.

someone will chime in though about code and jumping power from one box to another.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

ok, well i guess i'll figure it out somehow.....thanks anyway.....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

I think I would probably power up the new panel and then run a feeder to the old panel while you move circuits over to the new one.