Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with basement wirring

hey guy I am new here just found this forumn tonight. I have a few questions. I just bought a new house with an un finished basement. I am wanting to add a 150 amp panel for all the electrical down there. On the outside of my house I have two meter boxes. One for the up stairs and one that is going to nothing. I open up the meter box with no meter in it , all there was was one lug coming over from the other side. Does that sound right . Here is a picture of whats outside my house

Casper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Was this once a Shared building that was remodeled from having a Unit upstairs & one downstairs? As for the 150amp panel, what is in the house now, and is there a Panel upstairs?

As for wiring the basement, you may want to look at what is down there now, and draw up a plan for what you are wanting to do. I use Punch Software's Superhome to play with floor plans, and Visio for laying out electrical (my own use).

Make sure when you do plan for the panel downstairs, plan for the future, especially if only bringing up to current needs. You do not know what the future homeowner may want to do later (outlets on the outside of the structure, security lighting, etc.).

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #3

Up stairs has a 200amp panel box. this is a stand alone house it was only built 2 yrs ago. . I have ruffed in the basement just getting ready to start running all the electrical.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

So, everything is on the 1st floor I take it? If going to the basement, you will have to run from the Main Panel a run for the Sub-Panel for the basement.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #5

greg
I wanted to run my main line from the other meter box to supply the basement if I can. I dont want to cut the sheetrock up stairs plus I need 150-200 amp down stairs
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

With the current physical meter arrangement, no utility is going to set another meter in the unused meter socket. It looks like the original meter was relocated and simply fed-through.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Why would the meters be set up like this on a house that is 2 years old?
Is this a bad install with the meter being to high on rough in?

Ether way you looking at a max 200a underground no matter how many meters you slap on it.

Why would you need 150-200 in the basement? got a commercial shop going in?

You would think a standard 100a subpanel would take care of most basements.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

Nail
I want the extra power down there for the 4 ton ac unit, I have a huge Saltwater fish tank setup. Just to give you an Idea I am running 8 250 watt metal halide lights. I also want the extra power for my shop. My CNC machine alone requires alot plus all my other shop tools. I dont think 100amp is going to be enough.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

The 100 amp rating, is the amount of load at one time, that it would take to trip the breaker, not the number of devices that you are wanting to run. The 8 Watt lamps equal 2000 watt's, which would work great on a 20 amp circuit. The fish tank should be able to get by on a 15 amp circuit. The 4 ton would most likely use a 50 amp circuit, and could come off of the 200 amp upstairs.

If running a shop, I personally would not have it downstairs, due to the noise, and plus the smells & family issues. It may be better to put it in a outdoor shop, and run a separate service line.

What you need to do, is look through the 2008 NEC at http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a....asp?id=7008SB