Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Help Adding Switches and New Lights

I am in the process of making some minor electrical modifications to an existing room (in basement Ė Dry walled) and I need some advice/instruction regarding a couple of questions. For the record, Iím (obviously) not an electrician but Iíve done quite a bit of electrical work in my house. I can handle the mechanics of it (not advanced wire fishing) and I can follow instructions or pictorials even if I donít completely understand the fine points. This room also has 4 recessed lights that are controlled by 1 switch.

1) I removed a ceiling fan the was controlled by the pull chain without being connected to a switch. I want to replace it with a light but I need to add a switch. This fan is on the same circuit as some other lights in the basement as well as the stair and light upstairs.
2) I also want to install 3 track lights in the room with 2 dimmers to control them. Can I tap into existing lights for power and how would I run the wire from the source to the lights and switches and wire?

I appreciate the help!

JCWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

If the fan was switched by both the pull chain and the wall switch you should be able to replace it directly.

You can not tap off a existing light and expect your track lights to work as you intend them to unless there is a constant hot leg in the fixture. More than likely the only hot leg in the fixture is switched.

Colomboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomboj View Post
If the fan was switched by both the pull chain and the wall switch you should be able to replace it directly.
The existing wall switch does not control the fan. It controls the 4 existing recessed lights.

Quote:
You can not tap off a existing light and expect your track lights to work as you intend them to unless there is a constant hot leg in the fixture. More than likely the only hot leg in the fixture is switched.
Can I tap off one of the existing recessed lights or wall plugs?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

A existing outlet would be a decent way to get the power you want for your dimmers and track lights. If your putting those dimmers next to existing switches you might already have power there at those existing switches.

The fan doesn't have a switch as you have said so fishing a 14-2 to an existing light fixture might be your best option.
Colomboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

For the light that replaces the fan you could run a switch loop to the switch location.

Do you want both the dimmers to control the same track?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
A existing outlet would be a decent way to get the power you want for your dimmers and track lights. If your putting those dimmers next to existing switches you might already have power there at those existing switches.
I am putting the dimmers next to an existing switch. How would I tap into that switch though?

Quote:
The fan doesn't have a switch as you have said so fishing a 14-2 to an existing light fixture might be your best option.
I would like to control the light replacing the fan with a dimmer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
For the light that replaces the fan you could run a switch loop to the switch location.
Not sure how to do that. Can you pint me in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Do you want both the dimmers to control the same track?
I want 1 dimmer to control 2 tracks together and another to control the 3rd.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

Before you try to tap a switch as a source of power you need to find out of a neutral exists in the switch box.

A switch loop is where only power is taken to a switch and returned in one cable. The neutral would remain or need to be in the fixture box. Note if your area has adopted the 2011 NEC you will need to take a neutral to the switch box.