Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with 3 light switch.

Hi,
I am stumped on this switch as i have never heard of anything like it. The house was built with a old 50's mobile home in the middle and add on each side. The switch is in the old mobile home. It has 3 switches (i included a pic) the top 2 never did nothing since i owned it the bottom goes to the bathroom. The switch died and i'm trying to replace it with a single pole switch but have no clue what 2 wires to use. I didn't mark the wires when i undid everything but 1 black that is on the right is hot the other 2 black are not. There are 2 metal pins as seen in pic that connect the bottom 2 switches. Volt meter on all 6 wires show 1 hot and the other 5 give 0-2 volt. I measured the volt by grounding the black node and testing each wire with red node. I am not a novice by any means with electric but this is some weird stuff to me. Any help appreciated.
Edit: The left black wire does split to top and middle switch and bottom does have 2 yellow connected to it.
Attached Images

Last edited by xosux; 07-08-2012 at 01:45 AM.
xosux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Most likely,the one black wire is the power to the switch
The other black probably goes to the light.
Throw away the black jumper wire, you don't need it.
If this works, Cap off the yellow wires
Be safe.

Last edited by PaliBob; 07-08-2012 at 06:28 AM.
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

From your sketch you have desbard switches, (2) single pole and (1) 3-way. For some reason someone hooked up the single pole switches so that power to one switch feeds the other switch which then feeds something else. Makes no sense but if your sketch is right, that's what they did.

Your 3-way has three yellow wires. That tells me two of them are travelers and the other is a switch leg. That you have no power to either of the travelers means the switch at the other end isn't there or the hot feeding it isn't live.

The only problem I see with taking the existing hot and connecting it to a single pole switch is with the neutrals. How do you know that hot is paired with the same neutral as the light was when it was working?

I would trace the travelers back to the other switch, or where it used to be, and find out what's happening on that end. Then at least you'll know how things were originally wired and what neutral goes with what.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #4

I was afraid i'd have to trace down the wires and since i don't have anyway to trace them i may say forget it for now and wait until i rewire the house next year. I am positive the hot black one was on the top right so easy enough to know one of the yellow are the switch but i touched all 3 yellow to the hot and no light. And the black wire on the left is not a jumper it's a normal wire split and going to both. I have never seen a switch like this i forgot to mention it's modular 3 separate switches only bottom 2 have metal that slip in connecting them.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

If you are planning on rewiring the house, you should own a decent voltage tester, one that also tests for continuity. If you bought that now, you would be able to trace out what you have, as long as you can find the other end of things. Then when you are ready to rewire, you would have the tester/multimeter.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #6

Sorry i was away for a bit. I already said i have a volt meter it's a expensive professional one too. The problem with tracking down wires is as in old trailers this one was not even built to code then. The socket has 2 black wires but no black wire combo gets a reading. I know in the walls it splits many ways because i had to knock a wall down to join rooms and the factory wiring was atrocious. It had no junction boxes ( i know code in the 50's didn't require it ) at all just wire nuts and split different colors yellow became black as if they had no sense. I am sure that's what happened here as i've blown 3 fuses on this so far. I gave up on it until i know that the wires did not loose the rubber coating ( i'm sure they may have being that old ) and i'm using a shop light ridged to a light switch. The center still has 50% of the trailer/mobile home. I'm ripping it out next year and doing a complete rewire so it's done right, i don't trust any wire job unless i see it's done right. Thanks with any help but this wireing looks to be a lost cause.