Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help 2 wire receptacle

I have a light switch that I am switching out for zwave switch. The current receptacle has two wires. One black and one white (house built in 56). The new switch (intermatic CA 3000) has a white wire, black wire, green wire, blue and a yellow traveler wire. according to the diagram black goes to the (line) of the circuit panel, white to neutral, green to ground, yellow (capped off), and blue to the light.

After connecting the white to neutral, black to black, and green wire to the metal receptacle the switch will not turn on the light. However, when I connect the blue wire together with the white, The light will come on but will not shut off. My question is, is this switch useable without running wires through the walls?

Buggsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsbo View Post
I have a light switch that I am switching out for zwave switch. The current receptacle has two wires. One black and one white (house built in 56). The new switch (intermatic CA 3000) has a white wire, black wire, green wire, blue and a yellow traveler wire. according to the diagram black goes to the (line) of the circuit panel, white to neutral, green to ground, yellow (capped off), and blue to the light.

After connecting the white to neutral, black to black, and green wire to the metal receptacle the switch will not turn on the light. However, when I connect the blue wire together with the white, The light will come on but will not shut off. My question is, is this switch useable without running wires through the walls?
You don't have a neutral conductor in the box.... and I'm guessing you didn't mean to say the "current receptacle" You need to run a feed to the box in order for the switch to work properly...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Thank you for your response...As you can tell, I am a newbie. Having said this, is it possible to run a feed from a light switch without cutting drywall? Please understand I am totally new at this.
Buggsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsbo View Post
Thank you for your response...As you can tell, I am a newbie. Having said this, is it possible to run a feed from a light switch without cutting drywall? Please understand I am totally new at this.
Sometimes... Sometimes not.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Don't know much on the electrical end but as far as running the wire, follow these steps to determine weather you need to cut sheet rock.

Wherever you're pulling the wire from, is this an inside or outside wall? If outside wall, it is most likely insulated which may add some difficulty to pulling a new wire up.

I use fiberglass rods for pulling wire. These can be bought at most big box stores. Usually three rods that screw together.

If the pitch of your roof is at a low point of the wall you plan to pull from, you will most likely have to cut sheet rock.

Once you have determined the above two possibilities, if you are dealing with an inside wall and the header beam is accessible from the attic, drill a 3/4" hole at the header stud in the attic. I usually screw two rods together and run it down the wall.

The only other speed bump you may run into is a horizontal firewall stud. Built in '56, I'm not sure..

If there is one, you can determine the length by measuring the depth of the rod. Big box stores sell extension drill bits. This can be a tricky cut if you don't center the plunge on the horizontal beam.

Remember, if you are drilling inside the wall and you don't know where your electrical wires run, take the safest option and shut off the power.

Hope this helps.
audiohere is offline   Reply With Quote