Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #1

Share |

Need help

Hello everyone, my name is Joe and I am new to this. I was searching the internet to find a solution to my problem and saw a topic on split switches.
My problem is I have a dishwasher and garbage disposal sharing a split switch.
I have 5 wires a black, red, 2 whites and one ground. I also have a switch to turn on the garbage disposal. I have tried to connect the wire several times, with no luck. Once I get my garbage disposal to work properly with the switch, my dishwasher will not work. When I switched the wires around my dishwasher would only work when I turned on the switch for the garbage disposal. I would appreciate any and all help. I know black and red are hot, whites are neutral, the other is my ground. Thank you in advanced Joe

jkosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #2

Need help

Well joe...according to my Electrician...that is how it is suppose to be, due to the fact that the Dishwasher is always hot and the disposal is split. Unless you install 2 seperate boxes for each, i.e. one constant for the disposal and one for the switch. Major work for a non elecrtician.

papadonto8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #3

Need help

Is this something you found or is this something you are adding on?

The five wires you describe are not enough for a power feed, the line going over to the dishwasher, and the line going over to the disposer. You need to give more information including how wires are grouped into cables.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #4

Need help

You may have what is called a home run service to this box where one cable from the electrical panel has three wires and a bare ground. The white is neutral and the black is one 110v circuit and the red is a second 110v circuit that share the white/neutral. You can veriry this if you measure the voltage potential on the black and the red. If you get 220v then you have this "Home Run" circuit. It still sounds having two whites, unless someone has run a single conductor. Oh, are these cables in the box romex? Need more information.
porschedude996T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Need help

It would appear the 5 wires you are speaking about are for the split receptacle under the sink. I drew up this diagram for an example ... so is this what you have....? If this isn't what you have then are you talking about wanting both halves of the receptacle switched from a combination device (two switches) up on the wall above the countertop?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help-disposal-switch-1.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #6

Need help

Thanks to all that replied, especially you Stubbie for the diagram. My problem is fixed. What is forgot to do was to break the connection between the hot wires (red top) and (black bottom). The other problem I had was one of the neutral wires (the switch ) for the garbage disposal was not being used at the switch, thus did not need to be used at the outlet.

Everything is working good now. Thanks again, Joe
jkosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Need help

Your welcome Joe. I will only add... be sure that you are using a double pole breaker in your panel so the shared neutral will not get overloaded. Sometimes people use tandem breakers which are two breakers but in a single space single pole configuration this is not what you want when doing multiwires. You need to use double pole breakers so that you connect to opposite legs of the electrical service that way current doesn't add on the shared neutral.
Now having said all that it sounds like maybe you just have a half switched receptacle with power coming into the switch first then red,black and white going to the receptacle. If that is the case then you are just operating the disposal and dishwasher on the same single pole breaker in the panel and sounds like you got it figured out. You might be more like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Need help-dishwasher-3.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-22-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote