Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Empty


Last edited by sebrous; 02-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Easiest way for you to remedy this is to know how a 3-way switch circuit function. Below are 4-basic diagrams. They differ by where the power enters the circuit and the positioning of the switches.

diagram 1 is power into a switch then load-switch
diagram 2 is power into a switch then switch-load
diagram 3 is power into the load where the switches are after the load
diagram 4 is power into the load where the switches are between the load

someone from the code police may yell that some of the diagrams do not have a neutral at each switch location
Could you explain what you mean by load-switch and switch-load.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrous View Post
Could you explain what you mean by load-switch and switch-load.
The orientation of the switches, power and the load(the load in your case is a light)

In diagram #1 you notice that power goes into the 1st switch. The load is then between the 1st switch and 2nd switch.

In diagram #2, power goes into the 1st switch. The 2nd switch is next and then the load is after the 2nd switch.

In diagram #3, power comes into the load. Both switches are after the load.

In diagram #4, power comes into the load. Both switches are between the load.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Easiest way for you to remedy this is to know how a 3-way switch circuit function. Below are 4-basic diagrams. They differ by where the power enters the circuit and the positioning of the switches.

diagram 1 is power into a switch then load-switch
diagram 2 is power into a switch then switch-load
diagram 3 is power into the load where the switches are after the load
diagram 4 is power into the load where the switches are between the load

someone from the code police may yell that some of the diagrams do not have a neutral at each switch location
Studying your options, none of them are possible remember that I have in box 1 the hot wire and the neutral the first 3 way switch, the cable leading to the other 3 way switch and a 12/3 cable leading to the light switch.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Are you sure that the black wire pointed to with the red arrow is your always hot wire and not the green wire.

what does the switch outlined in yellow control??
Attached Thumbnails
Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.-imagedar.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Are you sure that the black wire pointed to with the red arrow is your always hot wire and not the green wire.

what does the switch outlined in yellow control??
What would be the best way to confirm which one is hot.

The switch control my outside lights (3)
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrous View Post
What would be the best way to confirm which one is hot.

The switch control my outside lights (3)
With a meter. Why did you say originally that the wire to the top terminal of the switch is the HOT one?

One wire attached to the single switch will be ALWAYS HOT. The other wire will become HOT when the switch is on.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
With a meter. Why did you say originally that the wire to the top terminal of the switch is the HOT one?

One wire attached to the single switch will be ALWAYS HOT. The other wire will become HOT when the switch is on.
Your absolutely right the hot wire comes from the light fixture and gives power to the single switch.

So one cable in the light fixture is the hot and neutral

Is it good news to find a solution ?

Last edited by sebrous; 02-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


So is this what you have?

Where the middle cable(highlited in pink) is bringing the power into box #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.-imagedar.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


if what you have shown is correct, then hook up the 2nd 3-way switch as shown below.

Pay attention that the black conductor of the cable going to the 2nd 3-way switch is attached to the common terminal of the 2nd 3-way switch. The red and white wires do not matter which traveler terminal they attach to on the 2nd 3-way switch.

If the information you have provided is correct, then both 3-way switches hooked up as shown below will function properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.-imagedar.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
if what you have shown is correct, then hook up the 2nd 3-way switch as shown below.

Pay attention that the black conductor of the cable going to the 2nd 3-way switch is attached to the common terminal of the 2nd 3-way switch. The red and white wires do not matter which traveler terminal they attach to on the 2nd 3-way switch.

If the information you have provided is correct, then both 3-way switches hooked up as shown below will function properly.
I wired the second switch has you shown and its still doing the same thing. If the second switch is flip in a certain position the 1st one no longer turn on the light watever the position.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
if what you have shown is correct, then hook up the 2nd 3-way switch as shown below.

Pay attention that the black conductor of the cable going to the 2nd 3-way switch is attached to the common terminal of the 2nd 3-way switch. The red and white wires do not matter which traveler terminal they attach to on the 2nd 3-way switch.

If the information you have provided is correct, then both 3-way switches hooked up as shown below will function properly.
This wiring seem to be unregular. To you think it's done according to code ?

By the way I so appreciate your help thank you for time.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrous View Post
I wired the second switch has you shown and its still doing the same thing. If the second switch is flip in a certain position the 1st one no longer turn on the light watever the position.

are you positive you have the black wire---which is the ALWAYS HOT wire---connected to the common terminal of the 2nd 3-way switch?

The common terminal of your 3-way switch may not be in the upper left corner of the switch like the diagram shows. But usually the common terminal is the color black while the traveller terminals are a gold color.
Attached Thumbnails
Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.-2011-08-13_134637_3_way_switch_08.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-12-2013 at 01:17 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
are you positive you have the black wire---which is the ALWAYS HOT wire---connected to the common terminal of the 2nd 3-way switch?

The common terminal of your 3-way switch may not be in the upper left corner of the switch like the diagram shows. But usually the common terminal is the color black while the traveller terminals are a gold color.
I am a 100% positive that the always hot is on the common terminal on the second switch.
sebrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Need held fixing a 3 way switch wiring mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrous View Post
I am a 100% positive that the always hot is on the common terminal on the second switch.
If you have no loose connections then the switch may be defective. When did this issue with the switch begin??

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three way switch mess mnp13 Electrical 14 04-07-2012 10:01 AM
Double switch wiring rockclimber Electrical 18 03-18-2012 10:13 PM
Simple question regarding Wall Switch wiring kebrein Electrical 6 11-25-2011 07:54 PM
Wiring an Intermatic Wall Timer in a three way switch aitutaki98 Electrical 6 07-23-2011 11:43 AM
Wiring from light to switch and on poorjohn Electrical 3 03-16-2009 01:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.