Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |

need generator adapter

Got my xfer panel and 10' cord, all of which is L14-30. Inlet box is L14-30P (male) and the extension cord has one male and one female end.

But the generator outlet is L5-30R (female). So I need an adapter that has a L5-30P (male) on one end and a L14-30R (female) end. I can't find it... well, I think I saw one somewhere but can't find it again. Seems every adapter in the world is more common than this. Can anyone point me to a good source? This really shouldn't be hard, but is for some reason.

Thanks

Last edited by raylo32; 07-19-2012 at 05:10 PM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Master Electrician

need generator adapter

So you have a female end on the genny and a male inlet. You have a cord that has a male and female end.
Turn the cord around and you should be good
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

need generator adapter

L5-30 is 120 Volt.

Are you wanting to use the gen set for 120 Volts only?

Incompatible with L14-30, which is 120/240 Volts

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

need generator adapter

No, not planning to wire up or run any 220v loads. I guess I need to look at the funny manual. Here is the one adapter I found.... pretty $$. Genny outlet is 30 amps, same as this connector.

http://www.lockingpowercords.com/Pro...r-adapter.aspx

Last edited by raylo32; 07-19-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

need generator adapter

I know of no generator receptacles that require any kind of adapter. You use the 30 amp female on the generator to supply the cord. This cord is then plugged into the inlet.
If you only need 120 volts, you do not need the $50.00 inlet. You need $50.00 worth of extension cords.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

need generator adapter

Not wanting to go the ext cord route. What a mess and hard to get to upstairs lights. The Reliance transfer switch I bought has the ability to handle bigger gens than I bought and can do 10 120V circuits or 6 120V/2 220V circuits (by doubling 2 sets of its breakers).

I don't need 220V as only my clothes dryer and 3 ton A/C condenser are 220V. Just sized the gen for critical 120v loads. Wouldn't draw power on all circuits at once but like the convenience of having it available wherever I need it. Gotta remember here in PEPCOland this can go on for days. Don't want to have to run around connecting and disconnecting ext cords.

So I need an adapter or I suppose I should replace the inlet box L14-30P with an L5-30P and use an L5-30 cord to the gen. Since I bought the L14-30 cord in the kit I guess I could replace its end plugs with L5-30s and not buy a new cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
I know of no generator receptacles that require any kind of adapter. You use the 30 amp female on the generator to supply the cord. This cord is then plugged into the inlet.
If you only need 120 volts, you do not need the $50.00 inlet. You need $50.00 worth of extension cords.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

need generator adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
No, not planning to wire up or run any 220v loads. I guess I need to look at the funny manual. Here is the one adapter I found.... pretty $$. Genny outlet is 30 amps, same as this connector.

http://www.lockingpowercords.com/Pro...r-adapter.aspx
That would do the trick.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

need generator adapter

A little $$ but probably the easiest solution. I assume that this just feeds both hots of the cord and thus the transfer panel from the single generator 120v output. That should work. I will only wire the circuits in the Reliance panel for 120v and will never have them all on at once, and will manage the loads on the ones that are energized. And that will preserve the ability to connect a bigger generator with 220V output in the future.

As fate would have it there's a wicked freakin' t-storm happening as I type this. Power is still on, which is a good thing since I'm not ready yet!

Thanks for the input, Sparky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
That would do the trick.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Master Electrician

need generator adapter

Ive never seen a genny that didn't have a 30amp 240v twistlock on it either unless it was just 120 duplex. Hence my previous answer. I guess I should have taken note of the nema designation
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #10

need generator adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
I assume that this just feeds both hots of the cord and thus the transfer panel from the single generator 120v output.
Connecting the hot wire from the 10/3 cord to both hot slots of the 14-30R maybe what you want, but I doubt that they have done that (safety issues).

You will probably find that one of the slots isn't used.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

need generator adapter

If you feed the transfer switch panel with the same 120V leg to both sides of the bus, then be sure not to use any multiwire branch circuits. No two circuits can share a neutral, since the neutral current would be added instead of subtracted.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #12

need generator adapter

Gotcha... but not sure how to identify multiwire branch circuits. I am just going to be connecting the gas furnace circuit and a bunch of "plugs and lights" circuits around the house to get the refrigerator, TVs, lights, etc. Probably also the microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If you feed the transfer switch panel with the same 120V leg to both sides of the bus, then be sure not to use any multiwire branch circuits. No two circuits can share a neutral, since the neutral current would be added instead of subtracted.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #13

need generator adapter

OK, I looked into this some more and now understand what a shared or borrowed neutral is and the implications. Then I looked inside my panel...

All wiring is romex that terminates nicely on both sides of the panel. Left side (physical side, not feed side) of the panel has 11 15 amp circuits with 14ga wire, 11 hots and 11 neutrals. Right side of the panel has 3 duplex 240 v circuits (no neutrals of course) and 4 20-amp circuits. 20-amp circuits have 4 12ga hots and 4 12ga neutrals. So the home run romex arrangement and the 1 to 1 matching of hots to neutrals should mean there are no shared neutrals, correct?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #14

need generator adapter

Wow. I just plugged into an inlet and used a interlock. Then I picked what circuits I wanted by choosing the breaker. I don't have to pick any 230 volt loads, but I do. Nice to have hot water when the power is off.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote