Need To Enlarge Hole In Wood Top Plate: Or Use Flex With Minimum OD. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 83
Rewards Points: 95

Need to enlarge hole in wood top plate: or use flex with minimum OD.

Hi, I've got a legacy hole about 7/8 diameter which was drilled through a wooden bottom plate at an angle. It's ideally placed. I need at least 6/3+G through this hole, and would very much prefer a metallic conduit or metal clad cable.

I can just about pound a piece of 3/4" ENT through it but... messy.

I have plenty of 3/4" LFMC but it's a bit too large: may fit if I strip the jacket from that portion. Also messy.

So what's wanted is either to expand that hole to at least 1", or possibly go with a type of metallic flex conduit or cable with the smallest outside diameter in a 3/4" trade size.

The hole goes a good 4 inches or so through solid wood. In the past I've had trouble enlarging holes of this size under the best of conditions due mostly to difficulty in centering. These conditions are bad due to the steep angle, and immovable objects which give limited clearance.

Sooo... what kind of bit would be best? Ideally it would have a spade (playing card spade), spear-tip, or similar profile, with one or more twists. I'm hoping such a shape would center itself and "ream" through the existing hole while allowing some mis-match of drilling angle.

Seems to me I've seen these bits offered to the trade and may have used one, at least with a very long somewhat flexible shaft: but I can't remember details or manufacturers. A tapered reamer might work but I've never used one for wood, sounds like a headache. A "builders reamer" bit looks good but cost $100+.

Barring the ideal drill bit, what should I be looking for in terms of metallic flexible cable/conduit with the smallest OD? I've gotten a few specs from mfr on MC type cable, it's right on the edge. What else should I be looking at?

Thank you in advance!



mysterylectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Master Electrician
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Rewards Points: 3,920

What is beyond the exit end of the existing hole? A 1" auger bit will work but often times they will grab and go too far. Good ones are pricey too.


brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,808
Rewards Points: 1,770

Does your area not allow type NM-B cable? Are you doing this for physical protection?
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Missouri Bound's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Rewards Points: 2,000

You can enlarge a hole with a spade becomes the shape of a "Wankel" engine. It wobbles around in the hole. A long hole saw would be your best bet for a truer hole...not that you need it in this situation.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hole in wood door Sliding Man Carpentry 12 07-09-2008 07:54 PM
Fill hole in hard wood floor in discrete location? pcampbell Flooring 2 05-20-2008 08:23 AM
A Hole to Nowhere fw2007 Electrical 12 03-24-2008 10:28 AM
Brick and wood flooring jhughesfam Flooring 1 08-18-2007 03:29 PM
Hollow wood door with hole where the hing plate goes earlc General DIY Discussions 4 07-08-2007 01:21 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1