Need Electrical Advice, Please! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Need electrical advice, please!

Hi guys, I am a newbie to this site, but I was hoping someone could help help me solve a slight issue that i am having. I am building a small paint booth for airbrushing, and am planning to use a 12 volt blower motor that I found from an unknown toyota car to exhaust the paint fumes through ducting out a window(I really want to use this fan because it has a sealed external motor). I tested the fan with a 10 amp battery charger which spun the fan fine, with plenty of air movement. I am currently trying to run the fan on AC power from a plain wall outlet in my house, but so far i have found nothing to do so. I tried a small AC to DC converter which didn't meet up to the amps needed because the fan didnt even stay in constant motion, next I tried a laptop adapter that put out 6 amps at 20 volts and had the same effect as the last. If anybody has any tips as to how I can make this work, please help me out! I am very good with cars, but nothing close to an electrician. Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Advertisement

motohead918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Not a great plan. Your really need a 110 volt fan with an TEFC exposion proof motor. Not likly a car fan will be able to move enough volume of air.
You also need to come up with a filter system before that fan.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
motohead918 (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I do have a good filter to put over the fan, i just cant figure out a decent way to power it. From the research i've done i'd say that the fan moves atleast 150 cfm, which should be ok for me right now since im not painting a whole lot. Explosion proof fans seem pretty hard to find in such a small sizes, and im not willing to pay the price for one right now.
motohead918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

The motor should have a nameplate rating on it which tells you HP or Watts. 1 HP = 746 watts. Watts volts (12 in your case) = amps. You might have to dig into covers to find it. Don't ever try to run a 12v fan with a 20v supply - you probably ruined the motor when you did this.
fdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You're going to have to find an ac - dc converter big enough to run the motor. Must be 12v.
I doubt that laptop supply was putting out 6 amps. maybe 6ma
jammin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohead918 View Post
.... Explosion proof fans seem pretty hard to find in such a small sizes, and im not willing to pay the price for one right now.
Are you willing to pay for repairs for damages after you blow your place up? Explosion-proof motors and associated wiring are required for a reason --- volatile fumes tend to be ... well ... volatile!

Call your insurance company and ask them if what you are planning to do is covered by your policy.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,546

Use the 10 amp battery charger.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

This is a bad idea. A DC fan is the worst possible choice, since they ALWAYS spark at the brushes. Bathroom exhaust fans are at least theoretically non-sparking and have been used in diy paint booths. A filter over the fan does absolutely nothing to prevent flammable vapors from igniting, it just removes solid paint particles to protect the fan from getting clogged up.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

What do you mean "sealed external motor"? Running the motor would most likely be done with a car battery. And if you put a maintenance charger on the battery it would most likely prepare it for the next day. How long at a time would you run it? The biggest concern I would have is if the motor is in the airstream you risk explosion. If it's a blower with the motor isolated from the airstream you maybe ok. But unless the bearing are sealed it won't last long with the paint spray accumulating around the motor shaft.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And full blast the motor/fan could pull 30A.

Advertisement

Last edited by Yoyizit; 02-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote