Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need Elec Outlets On the Outside

My new Manufactured home only has one outlet on one side of the home. I need one more outlet on the one side and two on the other. Can I just put a hole through the wall from an existing outlet inside and add it to the outside? I figure they would have to be GFCI outlets.

jinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Jinks,
I am not a professional electrician, just a long-time DIYer, but I believe that yes, you can add exterior outlets from an interior circuit, and yes, they have to be GFCI-protected.
Check with your Building Inspection Department for local code, permit and inspection requirements.
However, you should only have one GFCI outlet per circuit, which will make all conventional receptacles GFCI-protected after it in the same circuit. Do not add a GFCI receptacle to a circuit that has a GFCI breaker (such as possibly a bathroom or kitchen receptacle circuit). More than one GFCI device on a circuit will keep causing it to trip.
Double-check the circuits that you're working with. You may be better off wiring underneath the manufactured home and looping from the one existing exterior GFCI-protected receptacle to the other three in a single circuit.
Now, let the pros in here tell you facts and advise you. That's just my non-professional opinion.
Good luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

You can do as you intend, with some code restrictions.
You cannot tap off a kitchen/DR/nook of similar circuit. Nor can you tap off a bathroom receptacle circuit.

Outdoor receptacles must be GFI protected. It is always easiest to have a GFI device where you need it, as opposed to a GFI breaker.

You certainly can have more than one GFI on a circuit. For one thing, you can wire them all to "LINE" side and they will all simply protect themselves. If you do "LOAD" out to other GFIs there is very little chance of nuisance tripping. The more sensitive one will simply trip. This is a common DIY mistake but is not a code or safety problem, just a convenience one.

If the home is vinyl sided Arlington makes some very cool products that will make the job much easier. Go a to a real electrical supply house (or the internet) to see what they offer.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

As mentioned you can do this no problem. Arlington makes some really slick products and I find myself using them more often than not. One thing about Arlington is you generally have to find a local outlet or contact the representative for your state and order a catalog then have him ship to you what you want. The website lists the Arlington reps for the US and Canada. I'm lucky I have a local outlet in my city of residence.

Outside outlets now require "in use covers" so that they remain weather proof when a cord is plugged into the outlet. Below is an Arlington product for other than vinyl it is the cats meow for a lot of situations. There are lots of products out there but Arlington makes the best retrofits I know of in the industry. The surface mount boxes you see at the big box work but they are primarily for exterior conduit installations and you see DIYers purchasing these all the time. These are the metal ones with threaded holes or the gray pvc ones. By the time you stick a "in use cover" on them you have a big "wart" looking thing on the side of your house. It's fine but looks rather bulky. A lot also depends on where you want to mount it so if any questions ask and we can tell you how to handle the installation.

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew74_retrofit2.htm

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

The only thing I can add to what Stubbie and Speedy have said is to caution you when you commit to cutting this hole. The old adage "Measure twice, cut once" Is in full effect here. If you look on the Arlington web site you will notice that the box sticks into the wall. If you attempt to cut your hole DIRECTLY behind the interior recp. it won't fit... and that will suck.

Also, with the circuit off, remove the receptacle from the box on the inside and verify which side of the box the stud is attached to. If you do all of your measuring and then cut your box in on the outside ON THE WRONG SIDE of the interior box, that will suck also. Put on your thinking cap and don't get into a rush and it will turn out perfectly. I've made both of these mistakes when I was green, but I had the benefit of having a GC standing right there to fix my goofs. Learn from my mistakes!!!
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

And let me add one more comment on this one as well,, AFAIK ,, most manufactured home have backstabbed devices hook up so if you run into those you may have to change it to screw in type.

and when you install new box for outside repectale make sure you seal the box on the top part because some case the water can get around and ruin the wood [ most manufacted homes used partaicle board not the OSB type what i did see few of them ]

just mount it at reasonable highet [sp] not too low where if you are in snow belt area you dont want this buried in snow .

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #7

Thank you all very much for your help. I'll definitely have to remember about what side of the stud the box is on. My siding is cement siding and I would like to buy some products from Arlington but they don't seem to have a link for that. I live in a kind of small town so will probably see what Lowes or HD has. These outlets will also be under an awning.
jinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Electrician philosopher

The fact that they are under an awning has no bearing. All the rules about outside recps still apply.

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote