Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need a decent DMM

Hi;
I need to replace my (not so old) Radio Shack DMM with something more reliable.
I don't want to spend more than about $50.
I just need accurate AC and DC voltage measurements from milivolts up to about 1KV, and accurate DC current measurements from miliamps to 10A, and resistance of course.
I don't need fancy things like db, transistor tester, etc.

Can someone recommend a decent meter?

Edit: How's the Klein MM200? It has everything I need, and I can buy it for well under $50.

Thanks

FW

Last edited by KE2KB; 09-25-2010 at 10:53 AM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Need a decent DMM

sounds like you've established your needs in a meter. klein is good stuff. the 1kv and 10a are both at a limit of a cheaper meter imho. i would consider a cheap built in clamp-on feature if you're in the 10a range. i like them better than breaking the circuit.

TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Need a decent DMM

1kV? I have to ask; why?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

Need a decent DMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
1kV? I have to ask; why?
I don't actually need 1KV. It's just a throwback from my old days working with high(er) voltages, as an electronics tek.

As for the clamp-on feature, I will look into it, but I have an old Amprobe that does fine in that category.

Just got back from HD. They have very little in the way of Klein meters. But they did have a decent selection of Xmas trees! Two weeks ago they had their Snow Throwers out, but now I see those are gone from the front of the store, replaced by the trees.

Edit 00:02, 9/26
Ordered the Klein MM200 from Amazon. Looked at clamp-on combo meters, but too high for my budget, and I do have a working Amprobe clamp-on so the MM200 should fill my bill, and last a while!
I should have known better than to buy the RS model. I must have paid for it what I just paid for the Klein, and now I've got to replace it after only 4 years. Never treated it bad; it just stopped working reliably about a year ago, but was able to get it to work after a few running back and forth of the selector switch, and unplugging - replugging the leads.
This was not a situation I could tolerate in electrical work, so the RS will go into the electronics heaven (or hell) depending on where my town sends electronics we recycle.
I'm sure that the Klein will work well for me for a long time. I should probably also buy a carrying case for the meter, since I will want it handy while I'm on a ladder or other tight spot.

FW

Last edited by KE2KB; 09-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote