DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need cost advice for wall sockets

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  allpraisebob 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've run into a situation with a poor general contractor (long story, but basically poorly negotiated subs and poor oversight). Anyway, I've found some outrageous overcharges and am now questioning everything.

I had 17 wall sockets installed in a basement, new construction (i.e., the walls were open). The breaker panel is in the same room. I'm being billed $925 for the install, time and materials. I know regions vary (I'm on the MA cape), but I can figure local adjustments. Am I being ripped off here too?

thanks...

#2 ·
Not knowing the specifics, obviously, my bill for that work would have been $935 as my best guess (guesstimate at 55 bucks a hole). That's only $10 more than your actual bill. It sounds very much in line to me, maybe even cheap considering your location. I am in central PA.

#3 ·
Hi,

I've run into a situation with a poor general contractor (long story, but basically poorly negotiated subs and poor oversight). Anyway, I've found some outrageous overcharges and am now questioning everything.

I had 17 wall sockets installed in a basement, new construction (i.e., the walls were open). The breaker panel is in the same room. I'm being billed $925 for the install, time and materials. I know regions vary (I'm on the MA cape), but I can figure local adjustments. Am I being ripped off here too?

thanks...
Guestimate to pay between 50 to 60 bollars per opening (switch box, receptacle box, ceiling box) . That may sound like a lot when you look at a receptacle and think how can it cost so much, but realize the absurd price hike of copper lately, a trip to file a permit application, a trip to rough in the wiring, a trip to meet the inspector, and a trip to trim out, and the numbers aren't so far fetched. And of course there is overhead and profit to cover.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Since it seems in line, I won't worry about this item then. I definitely want to pay good money for good work. On this job, tho, I'm being overbilled a good 25% on the drywall and double what the paint job should be (not to mention how tools "accidentally" ended up on my account). At first the price felt okay, but I don't know anything about electric, so given the other things, I thought I'd check it out. It's kind of relief--this conversation isn't going to be pretty as it is.

#5 ·
Sounds like you picked an unusually appropriate name there, BuyingAClue. The less you know about something, the more likely it is for you to get fleeced, whether you a shopping for a car, getting a mortgage or having a house built.

I highly recommend you buy the book "National Construction Estimator" (Home Depot, Borders, etc.) to get an idea of what things should cost (it sounds like your GC should pick up a copy as well). The $40-$50 this book costs will more than pay for itself in peace of mind if not being able to negotiate fairer prices, especially for labor rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.