Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #1

Share |
Question

need big help with satellite

hi guys, im totally new in the whole satellite thing becuase i have been using cable for 14 years. So now i went to a shop that installs satellite and they said they will hook my house up with satellite and i dont have to pay anything monthly. They said but the satellite will stop working after about a month. I asked them how to fix it but they said i was "on my own". So im just wondering how do i fix the reciever so it works again. I asked him if he could give me a hint, and he said something about using the usb port to update. What do a download and what exactly am i updating? thanks very much and please help.

Also, the satellite reciever is a CNX-nano

Last edited by ryan316; 05-03-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: new info
ryan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Send a message via Yahoo to Magnettica

WTF? They'll hook it for free, no monthly charge, but then it won't work after a month?

Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #3

Well, no I guess you don't have to pay anything monthy - unless you want to watch television shows on it. My cable TV works like this too...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Oh I see, free install but then they want u to sign a contract.

Got it.

I have Comcast for as long they carry the NFL Network because if they don't come to a long-term agreement with the NFL Network I'll be saying goodbye to Comcast for good.
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Unless I am misunderstanding something here the solution is simple. Pay a monthly subscription like all of us do and you will have access for as long as you pay the bill. I don't get it but around my area the only people that install satellites and then leave you on your own are not legit.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Alarm companies do this all the time. They'll install your alarm system for free then have you sign on to their central station monitoring station. Then they charge you monthly.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
electrician

My neighbor has the same thing. He bought a satellite dish and reciever for a onetime fee. What it does is "steals" the signal from legitimate satellite companies. Every few weeks the satellite companies rescramble there signals. You then need to go onto the internet and download some new software to your reciever to get it working again. The updates are free, they are put out by hackers or whatever. The neighbor says he never loses his TV for more than a day before the new "hacked" updates are available on the web. I don't believe it's legal. I live on the Canadian border and my neighbor has his dish pointed at a Canadian satellite, he believes that if he's caught the Canadians will have a harder time prosecuting him in the States.

That's all I know for what it's worth.
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
I don't believe it's legal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_services
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #9

You are basically pirating or stealing the satellite signal. Go to a legitimate satellite dealer that sells DISH or DirectTV.
Try googling 'FTA satellite' to find more info on what he is trying to sell. Be aware that the the satellite companies are currently in the process of shutting down these free tvers. You may have no service very soon if you buy this equipment.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
DIYer

Quote:
FTA satellite
Real free to air satellite is legit, that's picking up the few free, unencrypted, channels.. normally people use the big dishes for that. It looks like the satellite pirates are also co-opting the same term to mean picking up encrypted DSS digital satellite and using hacked keys.

Quote:
satellite companies are currently in the process of shutting down these free tvers
The process of shutting down people watching encrypted channels free is ongoing. It's a constant arms race with changing encryption keys and new firmwares for the smart cards, and etc. It's been going on since the dawn of encrypted channels and will probably go on forever, because there's no 100% solution for solving the mass-broadcast DRM problem.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
The process of shutting down people watching encrypted channels free is ongoing. It's a constant arms race with changing encryption keys and new firmwares for the smart cards, and etc. It's been going on since the dawn of encrypted channels and will probably go on forever, because there's no 100% solution for solving the mass-broadcast DRM problem.
Yes but The one system that is currently available has just replaced all their smart cards and is in the process of switching all the transmissions over to the new system. When that happens it could be a long time before the signal is 'cracked' DirectTV did it several years ago and their new system is still not 'cracked'.