Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Share |

need advice wiring a ceiling light

i have added ceiling lights in 3 bedrooms, had to re wire the outlets and run a 14-2 from light to switch. didnt have really any issues except a mess of the blown in insolation from coming up and down from t he attic.

now my question. i cut out a 4in hole in front of my front door to add a light. the switch is located next to my door which obvisoulsy is t he exterior door. i was using the remodel boxes with the expandable braces between the joices but no way i can get a drill or anything in that area to nail it but i can just buy a box with the wings. since the roof line is sooo tight to the ceiling in the corner i can not get up there to drill a new hole to fish the wire down from to get to the switch. what options do i have. i really dont want to cut the ceiling as it will hard to patch as its like the popcorn texture. i can maybe cut a chunk of the wall out, is that my only option? thanks for any advise!

jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

here is a pic... maybe i can just run a new switch on the inside wall below my house alarm box? would that be ok to do? there isnt anything against code that says i cant put a switch there right? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
need advice wiring a ceiling light-img_0019.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

A flex bit should be able to drill from inside the hole for the box through the top plate, once it's through there's a hole in the end of the bit there you attach a stress relief to and when you pull the drill bit back it also pulls the wire.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

thanks, i think im just going to add a switch. it will be alot easier and i can pull power of the outlet that is on the return of that wall which is the basement and it isnt drywalled so i will have easy access to do what i have to do.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

question 1 ..what kind if NM connector is the best when adding 14-2 to a metal box so that the 14-2 isnt rubbing the sharp edge of the punch out when entering the box? i know it needs one but if a wire did come bare the breaker should trip right away too because the box is grounded, correct?

question 2... am i able to run armored cable into a plastic box or should i just get a metal box when i add my switch? thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack836
question 1 ..what kind if NM connector is the best when adding 14-2 to a metal box so that the 14-2 isnt rubbing the sharp edge of the punch out when entering the box? i know it needs one but if a wire did come bare the breaker should trip right away too because the box is grounded, correct?

Halex clamp connectors for nm cable

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...1#.UQXqNGt5mK0

question 2... am i able to run armored cable into a plastic box or should i just get a metal box when i add my switch? thanks
Get a metal box.

clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote