Need Advice For A Combination Service Electrical Entrance - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Need advice for a combination service electrical entrance

Hi all,

First post !!

Anyways, I live in the country and have an old farm house with 70A service. I am going to upgrade to 200A service and am currently in the planning phase. I have an electrician friend that is going to help me, but is currently out of the country till this summer. So, I thought I'd get most of the planning out of the way while he's gone and educate myself in the process.

So, to start things out.... I have my house, a detached garage/shop, and would like the ability to add some outdoor cirtuits in future (ie yard light, maybe a pond pump, maybe christmas lights, etc...). I'm currently not blowing any circuits and my load calculations indicate that I'm probably just under 70A usage right now, at the max. But, I'd still like to build out.

With this being said, I figure I'll put a pole mount combination meter base. I'd like to have a 200A main disconnect which would feed two 200A breakers (one for the house, one for the shop), and the ability to add some other outdoor circuits down the road. I'll be re-running new/upgraded feeders for the house and the shop to support this additional amperage.

But, I cannot find combination meter base (I have no preference if the meter is separate) that will support the main 200A disconnect with the two 200A sub-breakers. Why is this and what am I missing?

I know the response I'll probably recieve is that I wouldn't be able to fully utilize the 200A in both the house and shop at the same time, and I recognize this. But I also don't want to limit myself and the main 200A disconnect should protect me anyway. I also know a response may be, "What in the heck would you need 200A in the shop for?" And again, I'd rather over build than under build. In the shop I have welders, plasma cutters, iron workers, etc. Also, I feed four grain bin dryers from it as well.

So, help me out. Can you suggest a product or, am I missing the boat here?

Thanks a million.


rlrobinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

anybody? Thanks in advance.


rlrobinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Licensed Pro
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,571
Rewards Points: 1,000

You won't find what you are looking for as most 200A panels have limit on the size breaker you can install (usually 125A).

You should look instead at using a 400A (320) meter base that feeds two 200A disconnects, or a 200A meter combo with feed through lugs that feeds the house on a 100 or 125A breaker and the shop on the feed through.
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about service entrance maple_john Electrical 20 04-02-2011 02:22 PM
Fireblocking around electrical service panel dbmjmj Building & Construction 0 07-11-2010 05:51 PM
Underground electrical service armyeng Electrical 3 06-27-2010 08:11 PM
Service Entrance Question MeanGene Electrical 10 06-25-2010 01:46 AM
Home electrical advice needed jiminy Electrical 11 12-14-2007 03:13 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1