Need Advice On 240 Wiring For Air Compressor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on 240 wiring for air compressor

I just purchased a used 60 gallon/6.5 hp/240 volt air compressor (Sears model 919-16560 ... 9.9 cfm at 90psi, 130 psi max) and need to install it in my attached garage.

I'm on a tight budget, so the question is, what's the least expensive (but safe) way for me to run power to this unit?

Here's a bit more info on my house.

It was built in 1979 and has a 100 amp main panel. All breaker locations are currently used. We have an electric hot water heater, electric stove and electric dryer.

The 30 amp 240 outlet for the dryer is only about 8 to 10 feet from the ideal location to install the compressor in the garage. Is it safe for me to just purchase a 10 foot cord and then simply unplug the dryer when I want to use the compressor? I know this isn't ideal, but if possible, I'd like to avoid running another cable all the way back to the main panel.

If that's not a safe & legal setup, what's the next best solution? Is it legal for me to run my own 240 wiring and then just have an inspector sign off before I connect into the main panel? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisement

AJCady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

It sounds like a good idea to me .Your panel is already loaded down . .

Advertisement

electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

I think its a fine idea. You really have no other choice. Right? Not ideal, but it may work and be safe at the same time.

One word of caution. This compressor will draw around 30 (give or take a few) amps running. When it is starting it may pull as much as 8 times 30. So, it is very possible the 30 amp breaker for the dryer may not hold. This compressor by code can have up to a 75 amp breaker. If the 30 amp does not do it. We will have to figure out another way.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote