DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Need advice on 200 amp underground service (

rrolleston 10-17-2011 05:22 PM

Need advice on 200 amp underground service
Have worked on overhead services before but would like to do my first underground service. Here is my plan. Run 2" schedule 80 conduit up pole about ten feet then 2' under ground with 4/0 3 conductor aluminum wire. Then to meter socket on two treated 6x6 posts with 2x8 treated boards between them to mount Meter Main with Load Center. Two 8' ground rods 6' apart within about 2' in front of posts with 4 gauge copper stranded wire going from panel then both ground rods then back to the panel. Have a couple things that I am not sure of though. Does ground wire have to go in conduit or can I just strap it to the service conduit? And do I need expansion fittings where the conduit goes up the pole and up to the meter?

Here is the meter socket and breaker panel I am thinking about using.
Milbank Meter Main with Load Center

Jim Port 10-17-2011 07:06 PM

Your power company design manual would be the best place to start. They should be able to tell you a lot of the specs required and what equipment can be used.

kbsparky 10-17-2011 07:21 PM

Assuming you are dealing with a 200 Amp service, all you need for those ground rods is #6 bare solid. Don't forget to include your intersystem bonding bar.

Speedy Petey 10-17-2011 07:37 PM

IMO two 6x6 with 2x8 boards is WAY overkill.

Two 4x4's with 5/4 deck boards is more than enough and will look better to boot.

rrolleston 10-17-2011 09:01 PM

Actually all these specs are what they require here. Can't use 4X4's here anymore must use 6x6 and 2x4 or better material between the 6x6's. And I always use 4 gauge for grounding. Any ideas on the meter socket and load center. Has anyone here used one of these?

rrolleston 10-17-2011 09:03 PM

What do you mean about intersystem bonding bar? Do you mean bonding the neutral and ground at the main panel?


Originally Posted by kbsparky (Post 750840)
Assuming you are dealing with a 200 Amp service, all you need for those ground rods is #6 bare solid. Don't forget to include your intersystem bonding bar.

NJMarine 10-17-2011 09:26 PM

The wire to the ground rods can be #6 cu solid or stranded.
The interconection grounding bar is used, so there is a place for all bonding wires ie cable, phone to be connected.
Intersystem bonding is the low-impedance
connection of grounding from different systems,
which creates an equipotential plane during
transient events

rrolleston 10-17-2011 09:34 PM

LOL first service I ever did failed because I used 6 gauge solid wire. So intersystem bonding bar is just a place for all the grounds can be connected inside the main panel?

kbsparky 10-17-2011 10:12 PM

#6 is not sufficient when grounding to a water pipe, but is sufficient when connected to driven ground rods.

The intersystem bonding bar is a place where CATV, phone, satellite, etc. can be connected outside of the panel....

rrolleston 10-17-2011 10:30 PM

Yeah thats what I did I used it for my rods and they failed me. No tv phone or anything else on this site.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1