Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |

Need a 220 line

I just bought a welder and I need to put a 220 line in my garage. There are currently no 220 lines in my house. I live in NYC so i'm sure that there's 220 coming into my house. When it comes to my breaker box I don't know a lot at all. I can literally wire a car from scratch but when it comes to home electrics all I know is how to change switch's and outlets and run wires through a wall. I have included pictures of my breaker box. The garage is on the other side of the wall of the box. Running the wire is not a problem. Really all I will need is about 4ft of wire. I just have no clue as to how to get 220 from the box. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a 220 line-breaker-s1.jpg   Need a 220 line-breaker-s2.jpg  

BombSquad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

Need a 220 line

It's looks to me like that panel has no available spots for breakers. You are correct that you house has 220 coming in but have no 220 breakers in use. It would be my recommendation that you install a new electrical panel to supply the power for your welder. Maybe someone else here can advise you on how to wire it. I doubt that you can just tap off of what you already have. You also need to find out how many amp service you have. I would bet it's 100A but you may need a heavier service line coming in to run the welder too.

joshlaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

Need a 220 line

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlaymon View Post
It's looks to me like that panel has no available spots for breakers. You are correct that you house has 220 coming in but have no 220 breakers in use. It would be my recommendation that you install a new electrical panel to supply the power for your welder. Maybe someone else here can advise you on how to wire it. I doubt that you can just tap off of what you already have. You also need to find out how many amp service you have. I would bet it's 100A but you may need a heavier service line coming in to run the welder too.

I'm totally up for putting in a new box. Another problem i'm having is that for some reason 3 rooms in my house are on ONE switch. Not good. But that's beside the point. How do I find out how many amp service I have?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

Need a 220 line

If you look at that large main breaker it says on it how many amp it is. 100A
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Need a 220 line

Quote:
If you look at that large main breaker it says on it how many amp it is. 100A
How do I get a heavier service line to come in?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #6

Need a 220 line

I'm going to get a new breaker box. I'm assuming that wiring it up is pretty simple. Power and ground. It's not like i'm starting from scratch. I'll label all the wires before I disconnect everything.
The welder is a Lincoln AC-225S K1170.
The specs say:
Input Current - 50A
So i'm good with whats coming into the house. I'm going to Home Depot later to get a breaker box. EXACTLY what do I need?

Also, what are these things? - http://img703.imageshack.us/slidesho...=imag0738t.jpg
Are they power for the phone line? If so I don't need them cause I have no lan line in the house.

Last edited by BombSquad91; 05-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Sparky

Need a 220 line

Looks like a doorbell transformer to me
Techy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Need a 220 line

it is true that the 50A welder is within the 100A of the main breaker but you are going to exceed the 100A. I would seriously recommend getting more advice before doing anything. As for that little module you asked about...its a voltage transformer. it takes the 120V AC and turns it into 24V DC most likely for the doorbell. It shouldn't be connected to you phone system at all.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

Need a 220 line

Quote:
it is true that the 50A welder is within the 100A of the main breaker but you are going to exceed the 100A. I would seriously recommend getting more advice before doing anything. As for that little module you asked about...its a voltage transformer. it takes the 120V AC and turns it into 24V DC most likely for the doorbell. It shouldn't be connected to you phone system at all.
My doorbell doesn't even work. If one is for the doorbell what would the other one be for?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Mad Scientist

Need a 220 line

I do hope you'll wait for some additional advice before attempting to replace your main panel. It is not generally considered a DIY project, at least for people with little prior electrical experience. There are some major differences between residential and automotive electrical systems.

I do feel that one thing should be pointed out immediately, in case you're not aware: Those hot wires feeding into your main breaker are live at all times, with 240V between them and no short circuit protection at all. If you accidentally short them out, you will have the arc welder from hell bouncing around in front of your face and blowing molten copper everywhere until either the service cables burn to the ground, or the power company transformer explodes.

So you will need to work with your power company to safely disconnect power from your house before you can replace that panel. You will probably need a permit, and will have to have an inspection done before power can be reconnected.

That said, if it were my house I would definitely be anxious to replace that Federal Pacific breaker panel. They're something of a known fire hazard. But you may want to have a licensed electrician help you with this part of your project.

Just my two cents.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Scared Electrician

Need a 220 line

I whole heartedly agree with previous post. IT IS NOT an easy project. And I consider it beyond the realm of DIY. However for advanced homeowners it is doable. But it is not the project to cut your teeth on.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Need a 220 line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombSquad91 View Post
How do I get a heavier service line to come in?
You've got to contact your POCO.

For example, I have a new (2007) transformer on my electrical easement that brings me the capacity to have 400A (MORE POWER!).

In order to access this, I would have to:

1) run a new line from the transformer to the house (around 60 feet) and that's on my nickel (trench and materials for all intents and purposes).

2) Have the POCO hook up at the transformer side to the transformer and at the house side to the meter.

3) upgrade my main breaker.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #13

Need a 220 line

the black one is your doorbell the other is 38va rated which seems like a smoke detectors cn't see it being for your heating system that would be mounted on the boiler/furnace..ekectrican will find out asap just looking at it...thise 2 items are minimal loads but it comes down to running 50A welder on a 100A service if you disconnect all the other house loads its mint...but thats not happening.electrican will see if that incoming 22oV line can handle an updated panel..might even have to go out to the street to increase it on the pole

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote