Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #1

Share |

NEC Study For Apprentices

What would be the suggested reading material (or the most important Sections/Articles) from the NEC that an apprentice would be expected to start with?

I'm wanting to make a serious study of this, and I don't know if I should start from the beginning, or if there's certain "main", or 101-type sections an apprentice should be aware of.

Obviously, I would think Article 100 Definitions would be essential, but other than that, what do you think?

I would think that sections dealing with NM runs (334, for example) would be important, but what about those such as 210, 250, and Chapter 3?

I'm really interested in the areas that an apprentice would need starting out. I would think that 210 and beyond would be out of scope for one first learning.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Apprentices are not usually asked to study the code book in the beginning. They are asked to learn about electricity and electrical installs.
Theory is where most apprentices start. Ohms Law, Calculations like voltage drop.
Code study is usually reserved for 3rd and 4th year guys to prepare them for the test. By the time these guys are test ready, they know lots of theory and know what to do on the job site.

Are you the apprentice? Can you work a VD calculation? Can you use Ohms Law? This knowledge precedes code knowledge in most apprenticeship programs. The licensing exam is the culmination of a good apprenticeship program. But becoming an electrician comes first.
Anyone can study for and pass a test.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Hey JV,

I've not done a lot of VD calculations, but I am familiar with Ohms Law, and can calculate E I R and VA. Of course, in AC (vs. DC) I suppose I'd need to know something about Reactance and Impedance. I guess I could learn, but then I'm just interested in the practical side of things right now.

With VD, if I was running a wire a long way, say 100' or more, I'd probably just use a larger wire; if I needed 30a to a shed 100' away, I'd probably want to go with #8, perhaps?

I guess the question may be erroneous, because by the time someone spends that much time in the field, they would have learned most codes from OTJ training from their J-man.

I guess my question would be what are the codes most applicable to someone still learning the trade?
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote