Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

nail in wiring

I just had cement fiber siding put on my house. Now there are several electrical sockets and exterior lights that do not work. One of the sockets is a GFCI and two of the sockets are in the bathrooms. I checked the circuit breaker and then I had it replaced. My concern is if the electrical problem is due to nail was struck into the wiring, how is it to be fixed. Will they just wrap electrical tape around exposed electrical wire where it was nailed? Will this work? Should I be concern of electrical problems occurring later? Will they need to install an electrical box, split the wire and then connect them into the box? If this is correct, how is this done under the cement siding?

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks

lancen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Electrician

nail in wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancen View Post
I checked the circuit breaker
What was the status of the breaker when you checked it, was it tripped?
Quote:
and then I had it replaced.
Who replaced it, an electrician? If so, did he look into your problem?

This problem might be completely separate from the installation of the siding, you have a bit of troubleshooting to do. If the problem is from the nails, you have a much bigger issue. The wiring might have to be completely rerun or else you might have to have many junction boxes exposed (the hack way, usually). Either way, a lot of the siding (or the interior wall sheathing) is going to have to come off.

If the nails are the cause, the contractor who installed the siding is who you should be talking to.

At this point I think it's your best bet to talk to an electrician. If he finds that it is caused by the nails, then it's time to talk to the siding contractor. If he is unresponsive, then it's time to talk to a lawyer.

Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #3

nail in wiring

Thanks Proby. I installed the breaker, in hopes that it was just a blown breaker that was causing the problem. I talked to an electrician, and in my opening sentence when I mentioned I had siding, he told me most likely the wiring was nailed. What I am hoping is the wiring problem is from the breaker pannel that is outside wall of the garage to the wiring to the GFCI socket that is on the back wall of the garage. The wiring from the pannel to the GFCI socket runs along the inside of garage wall that the siding was installed. If this is where it has occurred, is the best fix is to place a electrical box and connect the two ends where the wire was nailed?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Electrician

nail in wiring

Usually each wire would be too short, so you would need 2 boxes. If this is in the garage wall, you can just open it up without much fuss (it's the garage, afterall).

What you need to do is pull that circuit off of the breaker, neutral bar, and ground bar. Then you need to remove the GFCI and pull the wires coming from the panel out. Then you need to use a continuity tester to A) make sure that wire is the one running from the GFCi box to the panel and B) see if one of the conductors (either the black or the white) doesn't "ring out". If it doesn't, then you know that wire is broke and you need to open up the wall in that area.

I would call the contractor first and talk to them about this, they might be willing to play ball right off the bat and have an electrician go fix it. If not, you need to either do it yourself or get an electrician to do it, but take pictures along the way.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

nail in wiring

do you know what the installers used to put up the siding (how long of a fastener)?

Last edited by nap; 07-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
VRP

nail in wiring

Nail in wiring, likely = damaged cables/wires.
Ignored and uncorrected or improperly corrected such damage has burned down structures and killed occupants. The damaged portion needs to be exposed for visual inspection and repair or replacement.

A nick in the cable sheath, barely visible, could conceal damaged wire insulation inside (behind the sheath). If nr the middle of a flat cable, damaged insul on a hot wire often causes leakage to grd (bare grd wires are in the center of flat cables). Usually trickle current (micro amps) at first, then increasing to mA, eventually progressing to amps, all going to grd useless but at increasing costs and hazards. I've seen one motel a few years ago (240V 400A svc) that was wasting more and more electricity to grd every day than he ever used = closest to burning money without a flame that I ever seen.

With FPE ckt brkrs (rarely trip regardless of actual overcurrent) I've measured as much as 46A True RMS constantly leaking thru 15-20A ckts that weren't even being used. The owner thought he was saving $ by letting electricity flow to grd, rather than hiring an electrician to trbl shoot and fix it.
VRP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VRP For This Useful Post:
lancen (07-22-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #7

nail in wiring

The contractor was using 8d
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

nail in wiring

sounds like the siding guy probably owes you some money.

I looked at Hardie's site. They recommend 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" nails.

Electrical wiring is required to be at least 1 1/4" from the edge of the stud or a 1/16" nail plate must be used. Since the guy used 8d nails(either 2 3/8 or 2 1/2), I would say the siding guy probably hit an NM cable with a nail.

whatever is damaged must be replaced. There is no acceptable in that wall fix.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote