Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

Nail Guards


Anyone have a source for "oversized" nail guards. I am working in a 100 year old property and the wall studs are a true 2" width. All the nail guards I have been able to find are for standard, modern 2x studs. Have thought about using a metal plate (like the back of a box) and screwing it in above and below the wire hole but as you can imagine that will be a lot more work than a pre-made nail guard. Thank you for your help.

phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Master Electrician
 
JohnJ0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 332
Default

Nail Guards


I have seen them, and even used them recently, but can't remember the brand.
They say memory is the second thing to go..... I can't remember the 1st....

I'll ask at the shop tomorrow if someone doesn't chime in.

__________________
John from Baltimore
One Day at a Time
"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,980
Default

Nail Guards


I can't remember either John....

However I believe he will find what he is looking for in the plumbing department. They usually have 3 or 4 sizes of nail guards in a good store.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Nail Guards


They are called Boca Plates. SIOUX CHIEF is one manufacture of them.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Nail Guards


Thanks for the tips on checking the plumbing department. I looked at the BOCA plates - I am looking for a plate that is a true 2" wide. Anyone know of a source for a 2" wide plate? Otherwise, I imagine I will need to review using a 3" plate with my inspector.
phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail Guards


BOCA plates are something like 5x7.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Electrician's Helper
 
Pudge565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 202
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565
Default

Nail Guards


Are you just fishing this wire through the walls if so i dont beleive that you need these or have to staple the wire.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Nail Guards


Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyexplorer View Post
Thanks for the tips on checking the plumbing department. I looked at the BOCA plates - I am looking for a plate that is a true 2" wide. Anyone know of a source for a 2" wide plate? Otherwise, I imagine I will need to review using a 3" plate with my inspector.
Why does it need to be exactly 2" ?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Nail Guards


No, we are not fishing - at least not most of it. For the most part the plaster and lath have been removed and we used a lot holes from the original wiring. The catch is that the original studs are true 2" x 3". This would have to fall into one of those great learning moments - a 3" stud (even a true 3") does not really give you proper wire cover. I, and my inspector, like to keep things neat, so if I can find a 2" wide self nailing plate it will be compliant and neat. Otherwise I think I could reasonably talk to him about using a 3" wide self nailing plate - assuming the teeth are in the middel and center it on the stud. Live and learn.
phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail Guards


The inspector shouldn't mind if you use a bigger nailguard than you need. This is very common, especially in plumbing. I'd never think twice about letting you drill a mounting hole to facilitate attachment if the available plates didn't have teeth mounted in a way that would work for your required placement. I'd suggest the bigger plates to him, with a nail hole drilled if necessary, and I bet he'll be ok with it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Nail Guards


Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyexplorer View Post
No, we are not fishing - at least not most of it. For the most part the plaster and lath have been removed and we used a lot holes from the original wiring. The catch is that the original studs are true 2" x 3". This would have to fall into one of those great learning moments - a 3" stud (even a true 3") does not really give you proper wire cover. I, and my inspector, like to keep things neat, so if I can find a 2" wide self nailing plate it will be compliant and neat. Otherwise I think I could reasonably talk to him about using a 3" wide self nailing plate - assuming the teeth are in the middel and center it on the stud. Live and learn.

Why dont you just fir the wall out to keep your 1 1/4 set back...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Electrician
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut, Litchfield
Posts: 2,015
Default

Nail Guards


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The inspector shouldn't mind if you use a bigger nailguard than you need. This is very common, especially in plumbing. I'd never think twice about letting you drill a mounting hole to facilitate attachment if the available plates didn't have teeth mounted in a way that would work for your required placement. I'd suggest the bigger plates to him, with a nail hole drilled if necessary, and I bet he'll be ok with it.

Would you really say anything about an 1 1/2 nail plate installed on a 2" stud with only 1/4" exposed material on either side? Assuming the nail plate was centered of course.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Nail Guards


I thought about furring out the studs but it really seemed like it would quickly become a very heart breaking exercise that would compound itself throughout this very large house. In many cases the wall trim, window trim and door casing have been left in place - furring out would require all that to be removed in order to maintain the detail look that the project calls for.

Last edited by phillyexplorer; 07-21-2008 at 09:40 PM.
phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Nail Guards


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Would you really say anything about an 1 1/2 nail plate installed on a 2" stud with only 1/4" exposed material on either side? Assuming the nail plate was centered of course.
Absolutely, without hesitation. 1/4" is plenty of meat for a sheetrock screw to shoot into and possibly catch a wire.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Nail Guards


Thank you for your help. The comment about Boca plates led me to a search and eventually I found this site. Looks like a 16 gauge 2"x5" plate is available.

http://www.metalproducts.com/plumbelec/safetyplates.htm

phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying a nail gun with compressor Dave777 Tools 9 11-27-2011 11:37 PM
Nail Gun Plastic Nail Casing frustrations smark General DIY Discussions 6 07-07-2008 08:10 PM
Best Practices for Framing Nail size jms5883 Remodeling 7 01-31-2008 11:37 AM
Using nail gun on deck fence? darsunt Carpentry 1 05-01-2007 08:11 AM
Nail Gun and Compressor - Help! MelindaA Carpentry 7 08-15-2006 08:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.