Mystery With New Bathroom Fan Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Mystery with new bathroom fan wiring

Okay, I need to see if I can get a quick suggestion, but this is a bit of a mystery and I kind of have to keep my hands off until I know exactly how to fix it because my attempts keep popping circuit breakers, resulting in the second floor lights going off and my half asleep daughter crying because she's afraid of the dark.

New bathroom fan and light wired to run off 2 seperate switches. It's on a dedicated 15A AFCI circuit for lighting. Electricity is fed into the switches from a 14/2 cable, 2 seperate 14/2 cables run to the bath fan because the 14/3 cable I had left was 3 inches too short to allow 6" in the fan box.

In the switch junction box, the black wire from the feeder is wirenutted to 2 pigtails which go to the switches, and then a black wire from each 14/2 cable going to the fan goes on the otherside. All grounds are connected including to the switch grounds, all 3 white wires are wirenutted in the switch junction box.

In the fan, one black wire from one 14/2 cable goes to the fan's black wire. The other goes to blue.

Grounds in the fan are wirenutted to the green.

2 white wires from the fan are wirenutted to the 2 whites from the 14/2 cabbles.

It has the 2 outlets with 2 prongs for the fan and the light, I'm testing it with the fan. The fan switch properly operates the black plug. The light switch operates the white plug. When the switch is turned on with the fan plugged into the outlet, the circuit breaker pops. When the fan is not plugged in, the circuit breaker does not pop. Remember that the fan works fine when it's plugged into the other outlet.

Is something wired wrong, or is there a faulty component in here somewhere?

Advertisement

WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd guess wired wrong, but I'm too tired to follow your wires in my head tonight.
If you don't have an answer by tomorrow.....

DM

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Pictures?
macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Heh... digital camera died last Friday.

Quote:
I'd guess wired wrong, but I'm too tired to follow your wires in my head tonight.
If you don't have an answer by tomorrow.....
That's what I was thinking too.

So with the kids soundly asleep I popped the breaker again as if doing the same thing would get a different result. After pulling out the fan shroud so I could make sure that as I thought and as the wiring diagram said, the white outlet had a blue hot and a white neutral. At this point, I checked to make sure that the white neutral actually was wire nutted with all the other white neutrals.

Turns out the white neutral was loose, and it must have been contacting the metal box and tripping the AFCI. Reconnected the neutral wirenuts, all works fine.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote