DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   mystery lights on roof (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/mystery-lights-roof-146134/)

Startingover 06-05-2012 09:53 PM

mystery lights on roof
 
My new house has a double set of outdoor lights on a front corner and also a corner in the back. Many neighbors have these.

What are they?

I still haven't figured out all the switches. Many bulbs in the house were burned out and I've replaced them and I think these may be burned out cause I never see them come on.

Could they be motion lights and if they are do motion lights have a switch. I took one out today to take to HD and match up with a new one before I invest in 4.

Then it rained and I hope rain didn't get into the empty socket, but I figured since they're outside they're probably moisture proof ?

joecaption 06-05-2012 10:17 PM

Post a picture, if there motion lights there has to be some sort sencer near the light.

Speedy Petey 06-05-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 937336)
My new house has a double set of outdoor lights on a front corner and also a corner in the back. Many neighbors have these.

What are they?

I still haven't figured out all the switches. Many bulbs in the house were burned out and I've replaced them and I think these may be burned out cause I never see them come on.

Could they be motion lights and if they are do motion lights have a switch. I took one out today to take to HD and match up with a new one before I invest in 4.

Then it rained and I hope rain didn't get into the empty socket, but I figured since they're outside they're probably moisture proof ?

Sorry, crystal ball in the shop. :whistling2:

Can't tell what they are from here. The picture you posted is far too faded.

Startingover 06-06-2012 07:06 AM

speedy, thanks for starting my day with a smile.:laughing:

Ok, photos coming right up.

Startingover 06-09-2012 09:05 PM

Ha. Discovered a light switch in the garage that operates the front flood lights. Then looked for a switch for the back flood lights and found that one in the living room.

Eventually I'll have these fixtures replaced with motion lights.

Startingover 10-15-2012 04:59 PM

I just had to come back and say I LOVE these flood lights on the corners of my house. They light up both sides and front and back.

When I get home after dark I'm always afraid someone is hiding in my yard behind a shrub. I turn on ALL the lights and peek out and I feel so much safer.

andrew79 10-15-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover
I just had to come back and say I LOVE these flood lights on the corners of my house. They light up both sides and front and back.

When I get home after dark I'm always afraid someone is hiding in my yard behind a shrub. I turn on ALL the lights and peek out and I feel so much safer.

Buy a gun. It's cheaper than using the electricity and a much better deterrent.

dmxtothemax 10-15-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 937336)
My new house has a double set of outdoor lights on a front corner and also a corner in the back. Many neighbors have these.

What are they?

I still haven't figured out all the switches. Many bulbs in the house were burned out and I've replaced them and I think these may be burned out cause I never see them come on.

Could they be motion lights and if they are do motion lights have a switch. I took one out today to take to HD and match up with a new one before I invest in 4.

Then it rained and I hope rain didn't get into the empty socket, but I figured since they're outside they're probably moisture proof ?

Could be
1 - No power, ( not switched on )
2 - Faulty lamps or lamp base.
3 - Faulty motion sensor.

Start by replacing the lamps.
Then check for power at base if not working (tester).

Speedy Petey 10-15-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmxtothemax (Post 1031589)
Could be
1 - No power, ( not switched on )
2 - Faulty lamps or lamp base.
3 - Faulty motion sensor.
Start by replacing the lamps.
Then check for power at base if not working (tester).

See posts #5 & #6. :whistling2:

jbfan 10-15-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew79 (Post 1031509)
Buy a gun. It's cheaper than using the electricity and a much better deterrent.

If you want to hit your target, you need good lighting!!:laughing:

theatretch85 10-15-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1031598)
If you want to hit your target, you need good lighting!!:laughing:

Not if you have a shotgun, just aim in the general direction and fire; oh and hope you live out in the country...

redman88 10-15-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 1031598)
If you want to hit your target, you need good lighting!!:laughing:

Night vision sight then the target doesn't know to run. :whistling2:

ionized 10-16-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Startingover (Post 940024)
Ha. Discovered a light switch in the garage that operates the front flood lights. Then looked for a switch for the back flood lights and found that one in the living room.

Damn, I thought you found the lights for my two mystery switches:(

flasherz 10-16-2012 11:23 PM

I have these on my home too, they're security lights. Mine have 3-way switches on both floors of the house for the sets on the corners. As to their resiliency, I have a set of spotlight bulbs that are in mine that have been there since the house was built in the early 1990's. Hailstones broke the front glass in the bulbs -- I found it lying on the sidewalk one morning... but the bulbs still work to this day.

Startingover 10-19-2012 10:17 AM

you guys are a riot.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved