My Wiring To Sub Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My wiring to sub panel

Was hopping someone will tell me if my wiring job is correct.. i ran 4-4-4-4 al to a spa panel on outside of house. I have a nutral hot hot and a ground attched to the box.. my hot tub has 3a wires and a small coper bare (ground). I have this box not bonded so my nutral and ground are separate in this box and( i have no ground rod at this box becase its attached to main house).my spa is on 1 50amp gfi breaker..the other spaces i put a 60amp breaker in that and ran 4-4-4-4 al to
Another box wich has no main shut off underground to my grage.. it would be hard wired into box.. Said box dosnt have a ground bar so i just bought a 3 space bar to attach to the box and run a ground wire to an 8 ft ground rod. so is it good as long as i dont put 6switches in the box? I belive its an 8 space box tho so i could put 3 two poles in it and 2 singles and that be 5 switches and id be to code correct? Would i need to do that all i need is 1 50amp and 2 single 20's... and does the wire going to the ground have to be bare copper?

Advertisement

Last edited by Zepplin1; 04-05-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: I live in michigan
Zepplin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

My wiring to sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepplin1 View Post
Was hopping someone will tell me if my wiring job is correct.. i ran 4-4-4-4 al to a spa panel on outside of house. I have a nutral hot hot and a ground attched to the box.. my hot tub has 3a wires and a small coper bare (ground). I have this box not bonded so my nutral and ground are separate in this box and( i have no ground rod at this box becase its attached to main house).my spa is on 1 50amp gfi breaker..the other spaces i put a 60amp breaker in that and ran 4-4-4-4 al to
Another box wich has no main shut off underground to my grage.. it would be hard wired into box.. Said box dosnt have a ground bar so i just bought a 3 space bar to attach to the box and run a ground wire to an 8 ft ground rod. so is it good as long as i dont put 6switches in the box? I belive its an 8 space box tho so i could put 3 two poles in it and 2 singles and that be 5 switches and id be to code correct? Would i need to do that all i need is 1 50amp and 2 single 20's... and does the wire going to the ground have to be bare copper?
As a point of information, for an up to 100 amp feed (#4 wire can't go that high) the 4'th conductof for the ground can ge #8. But since you already strung #4 you might as well leave it that way.

The grouind wire can be either bare or green covered.

The first subpanel in a detached buidling such as a garage needs a pair of ground rods and #6 copper grounding electrode conductor going to them. The subpanel on the side of the (main) house does not need extra ground rods but it would be a good idea to put a ground od at the hot tub.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-05-2013 at 07:15 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

My wiring to sub panel

What type of wire did you use. And does it travel outside of the house?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #4

My wiring to sub panel

It runs from main panel of bassment to a spa panal on outside of house and then from that underground 18-20inches( i rented a trencher..)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

My wiring to sub panel

Its 4-4-4-4 al i forget what type but it is direct burial approved

Last edited by Zepplin1; 04-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.