My Wiring Is Gone, Stolen - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My wiring is gone, Stolen

I have a house 2005 built on a slab. All wiring has been stolen from the attic, cut off at the top plate. Does anyone know of a simple way to repair this? Any special tools etc. What would a Electrical contractor do? I can do all the wiring have wired houses b4 but never a job like this. I do not want to tear/repair that much sheet rock. How does electricians splice wires without using junction boxes ? I was thinking of coming down about 10" from ceiling at each line thru the top plate and splicing. They left the wiring in the walls and did not destroy the walls. all outlets in tact. Looking for suggestions and how the pros do it.

Advertisement

djhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Code requires all splices to be in junction boxes and all boxes to remain accessible. What you're proposing won't fly.

Advertisement

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Have you contacted your insurance company?

I would fish all new runs of wire. In my experience copper thieves don't leave much to splice to and who knows if they tried yanking the wire out first. It could be damaged if they tried pulling it out of the walls. I have seen homes where they had ripped all the wire right out of the walls Anything they can't yank out gets cut as close as possible. I would not take any chances.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin'
Code requires all splices to be in junction boxes and all boxes to remain accessible. What you're proposing won't fly.
Article 300.15, as he stated, your best bet is a complete rewire
electrocution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

How much could that wire be worth? They probably sell to recycler? Wondering...

Sent from my iPhone.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

druggies do it. All they care is that they get enough for their next fix.
picflight (06-03-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
How much could that wire be worth? They probably sell to recycler? Wondering...

Sent from my iPhone.
Depending on weight and what you do with it, you can end up with at least enough money for your next high. The nearest recycler to me will give you approximately 3 bucks a pound if you're kind enough to strip all the insulation off.

That said, most of the sparkies I talk to at the shop I work at don't seem to bother recycling unless they get a substantial amount of decently heavy guage copper off a commercial job. A coworkers brother who runs a union crew in the Bay Area got a bunch of old 500 MCM off a big job site and ended up with about 1,200 bucks once he spent a few weekends stripping it all back.
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LooseSCruz For This Useful Post:
picflight (06-03-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Now they are stealing the buss bars from the cellular repeater stations, that sit out in the country.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
picflight (06-03-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,492

If you punch the old box out you can use that hole to fish a new cable down from the attic.

Also a hole in one room can be used to fish wires that go to a box on the opposite side of the wall. So with careful planning the holes can be minimized, but some holes are going to be needed. Drywall patching is easy.

Last edited by joed; 06-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Did you call the police? File an insurance claim? You shouldn't have to worry about fixing this, if you have homeowner's insurance.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (11-11-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhandy View Post
I have a house 2005 built on a slab. All wiring has been stolen from the attic, cut off at the top plate. Does anyone know of a simple way to repair this? Any special tools etc. What would a Electrical contractor do? I can do all the wiring have wired houses b4 but never a job like this. I do not want to tear/repair that much sheet rock. How does electricians splice wires without using junction boxes ? I was thinking of coming down about 10" from ceiling at each line thru the top plate and splicing. They left the wiring in the walls and did not destroy the walls. all outlets in tact. Looking for suggestions and how the pros do it.
I will not really trust what it was left behind at all due some people can try to tug it out much as possible and cut it off and I have see that kind of damage so therefore the only way you can do this is do the full rewired.

I know it is not easy but with very little punching in the drywall you can able snake in new cable(s) to the junction box.

And the other major thing you will have to do is find a way to lock the attic access door if they come in from the garage or other means because once those copper theifs find a way and they will come back and do it more so find a way to prevent from them entering.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

I just worked with my Master Electrician who is teaching me. We rewired a house that had this happen to it in the bacement. Just the other day some guys came in and got caught after stealing alot of what we did. What you will have to do is have the city send someone to look at it first and tell you what needs to be done. Then if you really know what your doing you can do the job fixing it. Otherwise let the pros handle it.

Keep in mind that the city WILL send someone to look at the work when done to make sure it meets code. Boxes for wire you splice ARE a must or you won't pass. Also make sure where your breaker box is, that they didn't damage that too when stealing the wires or it too will need to be replaced. I do this for a living and rewiring a house that has had the wires stolen is a BIG job. Make sure you know what your doing or the city will make you do it again until they deem its right.

About the wires in the wall.... you will maybe have to replace some drywall. You have to check the wires in the wall that could have been damaged in the process of stealing the wires. You will be happy if you do. Hope this helps anyone who is having this issue.

Advertisement

Great_Star_6 is offline   Reply With Quote