Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

my tv wont play my cable channels

Hello everyone. I have cox cable and a huge new panasonic flat screen tv mounted on the wall. The power went out today for a few minutes and when it came back, my tv wouldn't work. Cable is on the right input channel, the menu comes up, cable box shows it's working fine and on. Nothing. Snow. If I turn the antenna off just a black screen unless i press the menu button. I was going to call the cable guy out but it sounds like maybe a tv problem and I don't want to get charged. Ugh. Any wisdom?>

marifran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #2

Sounds like maybe the TV lost it's setup - in the menu ensure cable is selected and scan for channels. There is maybe an initial setup wizard that will guide you though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
marifran (07-26-2011), NJMarine (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #3

Vince! Thank you so much I am giving it a go right now.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #4

Update! It scanned analog channels and now digital channels and came up with zero for both. My cable box is on. It even shows Cox is recording something I'd set up on the dvr. The info just wont go from my cable box to my tv. Seems soooo strange that one little power outage could fry this six month old tv somehow. I did spend a good half an hour trouble shooting with my cable company and they offered to come out Wed morning but are pretty sure it's a TV problem and if it is they will charge me for the "visit". Sigh. I wish I were more technical. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try anything.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #5

What kind of cable connec5s the cable box to the TV. Will anything else such as the DVD player connect to the same jack in back o fhte TV that the cable box cab le coonnects to? Try t that.

Does the DVD player work when plugged into a different jack in back of the TV (and you select Video 1, Video 2, etc. as needed)?

(added later) Does the cable box work if connected to a different input (jack cluster) behind the tv? (opossibly using a different cable)

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by marifran View Post
Hello everyone. I have cox cable and a huge new panasonic flat screen tv mounted on the wall. The power went out today for a few minutes and when it came back, my tv wouldn't work. Cable is on the right input channel, the menu comes up, cable box shows it's working fine and on. Nothing. Snow. If I turn the antenna off just a black screen unless i press the menu button. I was going to call the cable guy out but it sounds like maybe a tv problem and I don't want to get charged. Ugh. Any wisdom?>
You have a new flat screen and you are using a cable connection between the cable box and TV or did you just use some wrong terminology. Your cable box should be connected with either HDMI or component video. What does the wiring between the cable box and TV look like?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

now I'm confused, if you have cable why do you have a cable box? If this is a new tv you shouldn't need a box. Anyway it sounds to me like something is not set up properly, perhaps your input is set for antennea and not cable?? Get your manual out and follow the set instructions. Most likely this is not a tv problem, but a set up problem
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

I have a new HDTV, but I still need a box for two reasons:
- DVR (it's cheaper and more convenient to use theirs)
- Can't get Comcast on-demand with a cablecard

Mine is attached with an HDMI cable. If you have a non-HD cable box, you should be hooking up with one of the following (in order from best to worst):
S-video (a mini-DIN jack)
Composite (a yellow RCA jack)
Coax ANT (just DON'T)

Plus one of the following for audio:
Optical (fiber optic SPDIF)
S-PDIF (copper)
Analog (red/white or red/black RCA)

It really just sounds like you need to hit the Input button on your remote and pick the right input. You shouldn't be messing with channels unless you hooked it up WRONG, which is to say through the coaxial antenna input as if it was your 1982 Zenith console.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

Why not bypass the box completely, hook the coax directly into the back of the TV and select that input? At least you will be able to see if the box or the tuner on the TV is the issue.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Tileguy

Isn't there some kind of a card required for the cable? I have no idea just asking.

Years ago when we had cable every once in a while an electric storm would somehow scramble "the card". We would have to remove the card, turn off the power to everything for a minute then put it all back together and everything was normal again. Seems like that was the case anyway.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Jack of all - master none

If you are using a cable box, scanning for channels is not going to find any channels, because you are not using your TV for tuning. It sounds like you just need to change the input to whatever the cable box is hooked into (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, Component, etc.).
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Jack of All Trades

Are you sure you have the TV in the correct input mode? Sounds like you're in Cable/Antenna mode but if you are using an HDMI cable you should not be. With HDMI you shouldn't get snow, ever, it should just be a blank/blue screen saying "no input found" or the like.
My TV resets to cable/antenna mode when the power goes out and I have to put it back into HDMI mode. That might be your only issue.
If it is indeed hooked up via a coaxial cable then the only channels the box can use is ch. 3 or 4.
First step though is to verify what type of cable is between the box and tv.

Also, make sure you're using the remote that came with your TV, the cable box remote might not work the specialized functions of your TV like input, menu, etc. Might have to use the buttons on the TV as last resort.

Last edited by DoctorWho; 07-26-2011 at 02:29 PM.
DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
Why not bypass the box completely, hook the coax directly into the back of the TV and select that input? At least you will be able to see if the box or the tuner on the TV is the issue.
I have ATT U-verse, and have to use a box on all sets. Also have a DVR through them. That would be why you would need a box, along with providers such as Comcast are encrypting everything, so that you need a box to receive services through them.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #14

I agree with the others. If you have a coax cable going into your tv and that cable is coming from a cable box then you probably need to go into setting and switch the coax setting from ANT to cable/Sat. If it is any other kind of cable then the problem lies with your cable box i would assume.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I have ATT U-verse, and have to use a box on all sets. Also have a DVR through them. That would be why you would need a box, along with providers such as Comcast are encrypting everything, so that you need a box to receive services through them.
Not sure about Comcast, but Time-Warner puts a block on the base channels and encrypts the premium channels. Without a box, you can still recieve the base channels. If you have another box somewhere, try swapping them around.

Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote