My New 200AMP Homeline Square D - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My new 200AMP Homeline Square D

I just purchased my new 200amp service panel and noticed right away there aren't separate grounding bars. It looks like the ground wire is supposed to attach right next to the neutral lug. Is this right or do I have to buy separate grounding buses and install them?

Advertisement

rlineberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,506

For a service with the main disconnect the ground a neutral are connected together.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

Is it a main breaker panel? If it is the ground and neutral are tied together in the panel by either the neutral bar being mounted right to the can or via a bonding screw. Square-D panels usually come with a grounding bar in a bag inside the panel but not if it is a factory installed main breaker panel.

Last edited by sparks1up; 05-10-2010 at 05:12 PM.
sparks1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
For a service with the main disconnect the ground a neutral are connected together.
I know they are supposed to be if it is not a sub-panel, but why the bonding screw if the neutral and ground are already connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
Is it a main breaker panel?
It is the main breaker panel. Very simple back to back to the meter base... no sub-panels or external disconnects. Just a big 'ol 200amp main breaker at the top.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Sparkaholic

I edited my original response! Look up!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

I found a picture online that is simular to my set-up.

http://media.wiley.com/assets/1156/0...830-X_0202.jpg

It looks like they tied the ground directly next to the neutral. Is this acceptable?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Sparkaholic

The panel in the picture has the bonding screw installed and as you can see all the grounds and neutrals sharing the same neutral/ground bars! If it is bonded you can do that but if you would prefer to run to a separate bar you can buy it wherever you bought the panel! But it is not necessary.

I have been known to steal the old neutral bar from the panel I took out and drill and tap and screw it to the back of the panel and use that as a ground bar.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
I have been known to steal the old neutral bar from the panel I took out and drill and tap and screw it to the back of the panel and use that as a ground bar.
sneaky, sneaky
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,208

[quote=rlineberg;440028]I know they are supposed to be if it is not a sub-panel, but why the bonding screw if the neutral and ground are already connect

The bonding screw bonds the tub(panel box) to the neutral.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,210

I installed that exact panel in the log home I'm building. It did not come with a ground bar. The instructions specified which part number to buy. There's actually room for two ground bars, one on each side. Certainly made wiring easier.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #11

In a Sq D homeline panel we have a neutral bar and a ground bar.

Is the neutral bar on the right or left?

We tried a few of the open holes in the bar on the left but the green screw would not start.

Would that mean that we should try an open hole on the bar on the right?
etbrown4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

typical Square D panels have both bus bars tied together. if this the main panel you should install the bonding screw to connect the tub to the bus, unless there is a disconnect between meter and main.
if this is a sub panel you must install separate grounding bars to isolate neutral from ground, and do NOT use the bonding screw

to answer you actual question, use an Ohm meter to test the bus bars for continuity. this will prove whether they are connected to each other or not
if it has a separate ground bar, you should be able to see easily enough that it stands alone in the box(no obvious connection to any other part)
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbrown4 View Post
In a Sq D homeline panel we have a neutral bar and a ground bar.

Is the neutral bar on the right or left?

We tried a few of the open holes in the bar on the left but the green screw would not start.

Would that mean that we should try an open hole on the bar on the right?
The bonding screw does not go into one of the holes in the bar. It goes through a hole at the top and into the back box of the panel.

I am really beginning to think they should not sell panels at home centers any more.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

Is this your first point of disconnect? As in, does your meter base have a disconnect?
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #15

This is service equipment. So there is no disconnect. We know we hve to install the bonding screw and why.

Just looking for the magic location!

Thanks for any tips.

A special note to Petey.

Petey, I'm sure you have helped many folks with your expert electrical advice, and they all owe you a debt of gratitude! It is very kind of you.

As we all know, panel installations must be inspected by an electrical inspector, so we know they will be safe and compliant when completed.

We can't help or save those who do non-compliant work. Just like we could not save all those bootleggers who broke the law during prohibition.

It seems to me that the name if this forum is "diychatroom". That is, it is intended for do-it-yourselfers, and not for pros.

It is awesome that you give such great advice, however you might save us of any implicit criticism about what home centers might or might not sell. It seems that you would be enthusiastic about helping DIY folks get their installations just right.

On the other hand if you don't feel comfortable with DIY folks doing electrical work, then perhaps that category should be removed from this and all DIY forums, and all those questions and advice should be reserved for pros. But that defeats the very purpose of a DIY forum doesn't it?

Either way, I really appreciate your advice on where to find the pesky bonding screw location, as I was looking in the wrong place, and still don't see the right one!

Advertisement

etbrown4 is offline   Reply With Quote