Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |
My local AHJ on Smurf

I decided to make a new thread because the old one was getting really long. Here's what my local inspector said about how they consider smurf:

Quote:
It is considered a form of conduit for physical protection of the exposed wiring. We generally will always accept this in a residential application; to have the romex covered is the key. Of course, there are always limitations, but if it is just to the receptacles and switches, water heater or furnace where the wires leave the wall cavity, it should be ok.
Surprisingly they accept it not on the grounds that unfinished basements aren't subject to damage, but on the grounds that "anything covering the romex" is enough protection.

Even so, I'm going to do any new work with EMT though. It does look more professional.

But this explains why my entire basement was done in smurf.

PS- Judging on what I read, do not assume that your local inspector will be of the same opinion, if you come across this message in google results or something.

Last edited by Gigs; 11-10-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added warning
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
DIY'er

My local AHJ on Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I decided to make a new thread because the old one was getting really long. Here's what my local inspector said about how they consider smurf:

Surprisingly they accept it not on the grounds that unfinished basements aren't subject to damage, but on the grounds that "anything covering the romex" is enough protection.

Even so, I'm going to do any new work with EMT though. It does look more professional.

But this explains why my entire basement was done in smurf.

PS- Judging on what I read, do not assume that your local inspector will be of the same opinion, if you come across this message in google results or something.
I just bought some for in wall / in celing use. It will only be exposed where it connects to the panel. It was just too much work to run EMT and wasn't worth it, and I am not ready to run the wires yet, but am closing up walls this week. 3 runs of 1/2 in Smurf was the perfect answer.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

My local AHJ on Smurf

Thanks for posting your inspector's opinion...I always love to hear how these things turn out for people. Glad he's allowing you to do what you want, but he needs to freshen up on his NEC code knowledge...He's dead wrong.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
DIYer

My local AHJ on Smurf

Oh god, what have I done. Now the spammers think this is a site for smurf costumes.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote