Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My light fixture / socket question.

First off, let me apologise for my electric ignorance. I know very little. Mostly just enough to probably electrocute myself, but handy enough to make my way through it with simple instructions.

Our basement has just finished being put back together after a messy leak came through from our neighbour's place. Two weeks later, some new drywall and new carpet, it's back to almost normal.

During the time half of the room was gutted, I was able to run a cable through the ceiling for my projector. My goal is to mount it on the ceiling. With that part done, I now need to run power to it. Here's what I was thinking could be done, let me know if I'm out to lunch.

My girlfriend is anti hole so just being able to have a cable coming out of the ceiling is a huge step. So rather than turning the ceiling light fixture (your standard two bulb set up) into a normal power outlet, I could just get me one of those light socket to outlet screw-in jobs and the problem of power would be solved. However, the room has two separate light fixtures, which are both turned on by one light switch.

What I want to know is if there is a way to make the one light fixture always on, so that there's always power going to it, pretty well separating it from the light switch that will continue to turn the other light in the room on and off without it affecting the light which I'll hopefully have been able to use the previously mentioned screw-in socket to outlet thingy I found at home depot.

If it's not as simple as I'm hoping it could be, I'll just call an electrician. ha! Thanks!

Getson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

remove the lights to expose the junction box and tell us what wires you have there. If the power goes to the lights and then the switch you can re-wire at that junction. If the power goes to the switch first you will need to add a new wire and that would be more than you want to tackle.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #3

I think it's probably just easier to post a picture. Here's what I saw.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

It looks like this light already is wired to do what you want. The red wire is likely a switched power and the black is still hot when the switch is turned off. connect your adapter for the outlet to the black and the white wire. Be sure to turn off the breakers before working on this.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #5

Both pairs of wires going through the foil go to a light socket though. They both turn off when the light switch on the wall is off and turn on when it's on. I want one (or both - doesn't matter) to have no connection what-so-ever to the light switch on the wall. I just want power running to them permanently.

My light source for the room is another light exactly like the one shown in the picture on the side of the room, which is connected to that same light switch. I still want that switch to turn on and off that other light, just not the one in the picture.

Last edited by Getson; 02-25-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Connect your outlet to the black wires hanging out of the ceiling, not off the light. However I can not recommend that you do what you are proposing. Those screw-in adapters are meant only for temporary use and usually only a couple hundred watts at best. Your projector will likely use more power than that adaptor is rated for. Not to mention there would be no ground for the projector cord either. Personally I'd install and outlet next to the projector or above it, however works best and just be done with it. If your projector ever had a ground fault, that fault current would end up traveling back to ground on your video cables destroying any A/V equipment attached to it on the other end. Just install the outlet, its the proper way to do what you want to do.

Check out the outlets featured in this thread, these might be just the thing to install for your projector outlet: no cover plate outlets, code?
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

That was my fear with using those adapters. Obviously frying my gear is something I don't want to happen. ha! Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Does your projector have a grounding ("three prong") plug?

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-25-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Does your projector have a grounding ("three prong") plug?
Almost all the projectors I have ever seen/used have a grounded plug on them. Though it doesn't really matter if its not grounded as the amount of power it takes would still likely be higher than the screw-in adaptor is rated to handle. Not to mention the cover for the light would have to be off in order to plug the projector into the bulb socket; overall it would just not be a good idea.

If it was my projector install, i'd either install a single outlet or duplex either in the ceiling next to the projector or on the wall if its mounted near a wall. This way the grounded projector I have would have a solid grounded outlet to plug into and I can run the outlet on its own circuit separate from everything else. They even make the power inlet outlets to allow you to re-wire the outlet for your LCD TV or projector and route the power through a surge protector, which you wouldn't get by just plugging it into the wall.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Does your projector have a grounding
("three prong") plug?
It does, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Almost all the projectors I have ever seen/used have a grounded plug on them. Though it doesn't really matter if its not grounded as the amount of power it takes would still likely be higher than the screw-in adaptor is rated to handle. Not to mention the cover for the light would have to be off in order to plug the projector into the bulb socket; overall it would just not be a good idea.

If it was my projector install, i'd either install a single outlet or duplex either in the ceiling next to the projector or on the wall if its mounted near a wall. This way the grounded projector I have would have a solid grounded outlet to plug into and I can run the outlet on its own circuit separate from everything else. They even make the power inlet outlets to allow you to re-wire the outlet for your LCD TV or projector and route the power through a surge protector, which you wouldn't get by just plugging it into the wall.
It's pretty much right in the middle of the ceiling, maybe a foot off-centre, but still a good 7 feet from any wall.

I figure I'll just call an electrician and see what it will cost to install an outlet for me.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

The reason I asked is, the screw-in type connector will not provide an equipment ground. When there is grounded plug for home audio, video and computer equipment, the manufacture's listing will usually require connection to a receptacle with a equipment ground. ("Do not defeat the propose of the grounding type plug", or similar wording).

I see this problem most frequently in home offices in older homes, but it's true of most such devices with grounded plugs.

Even if a receptacle has been changed out to grounded type and/or has been given GFCI protection, if there is no actual equipment ground conductor connected to the grounded terminal of the receptacle, then the equipment should not be plugged into the receptacle.

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-25-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #12

Well, I called a place and for them to do it, it'll be between $125 and $200. Not the end of the world. Might as well get it done right, right?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #13

Did you run speaker, cable TV runs to this area already?
You said you ran a cable, does that have everything?
I would have been inclined to run conduit to the area for anything else needed - now or down the road
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #14

I only ran an hdmi cable from that spot in the ceiling and down the wall where the rest of the equipment is going to be at the front of the room. It's all been put back together by the contractors now. I doubt I'll be in this house long enough to worry too much about it, but this setup will for the the next couple years until the next one.

I ran the speaker wire under the carpet when that was torn up.

Last edited by Getson; 02-25-2009 at 04:47 PM.