Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My GFCI doesn't reset

Hey Guys! I am remodeling a bathroom that was one of 3 on one 15 amp circuit. There are also 2 outside receptacles on the same circuit. I thought the code stated that each bathroom and the kitchen had to be on separate 20 amp circuits with GFCI protection. Here we have one very overloaded 15 amp circuit, which is totally impractical with 2 blowdryers popping the breaker - and 2 women in the house, each with their own blowdryers, plus the 2 outside receptacles.
The remodeling job includes putting in a 30 amp circuit with 10-3. Connections were made with the normal connections in the panel-black on the new 30 amp breaker, white and ground on the common, and the GFCI in the bathroom. Kept the lighting on the existing circuit, but isolated the Broan lite with exhaust fan and heater from one Cooper GFCI and one receptacle downstream on that 30 amp circuit. Fan and outlets are totally separated from the lighting circuit, and the Broan is NOT downstream from the GFCI. Initially, when the circuit breaker was turned on the GFCI showed green. Then, without any discernible reason, it turned yellow and won't reset. I've tried everything I can think of like disconnecting the Broan and the second receptacle from the circuit and I can't get it to reset. Anyone experience a Cooper GFCI giving up the ghost like this one did?

QUADCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

My GFCI doesn't reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUADCO View Post
Hey Guys! I am remodeling a bathroom that was one of 3 on one 15 amp circuit. There are also 2 outside receptacles on the same circuit. I thought the code stated that each bathroom and the kitchen had to be on separate 20 amp circuits with GFCI protection. Here we have one very overloaded 15 amp circuit, which is totally impractical with 2 blowdryers popping the breaker - and 2 women in the house, each with their own blowdryers, plus the 2 outside receptacles.
The remodeling job includes putting in a 30 amp circuit with 10-3. Connections were made with the normal connections in the panel-black on the new 30 amp breaker, white and ground on the common, and the GFCI in the bathroom. Kept the lighting on the existing circuit, but isolated the Broan lite with exhaust fan and heater from one Cooper GFCI and one receptacle downstream on that 30 amp circuit. Fan and outlets are totally separated from the lighting circuit, and the Broan is NOT downstream from the GFCI. Initially, when the circuit breaker was turned on the GFCI showed green. Then, without any discernible reason, it turned yellow and won't reset. I've tried everything I can think of like disconnecting the Broan and the second receptacle from the circuit and I can't get it to reset. Anyone experience a Cooper GFCI giving up the ghost like this one did?
First off, this should be in it's own thread. This is a new unrelated issue to the original post.

Second, you CANNOT use a 30A breaker for general use receptacles and lighting. Unfortunately you used #10 which is now oversized and very hard to work with.

The fan/heat MUST also be on it's own circuit as per the instructions. Some require a 20A circuit, some 15A.

If it worked originally and then stopped you probably have a neutral touching a ground somewhere.

PLEASE read up some more before continuing. You obviously are not well versed enough as to the proper codes and practices.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

My GFCI doesn't reset

Just trying to give detailed background to see if discussion about Cooper vs Leviton vs . . . whatever, and quality of each included a Cooper crapping out as soon as circuit was energized. I thought it was relevant to the quality issue being discussed. So sorry KMA!!
QUADCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

My GFCI doesn't reset

Wowie there are few issue allready popped up.,

You can not use 30 amp circuit for genral purpose recetaple this is NOT allowed per NEC code

The heater/ fan / light unit it must be on seperated circuit those unit will draw a bit of current escpally on heat mode which they will have anywhere from 1200 to 1500 watt heater in there you can see why the manufacter recomened it own circuit.

I really recomened that you get the Wiring simplifed or simuair book to read it up there are a bit of code to cover in the bathroom area ditto with kitchen area.

Or get a Electrician to come out and deal with it.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

My GFCI doesn't reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUADCO View Post
So sorry KMA!!
Way to act at a site you are coming to for help.
Good luck, you are going to need it since you obviously have no clue. I hope no one gets hurt.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote