My Generator Is 125v; Is That Close Enough? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 878

My generator is 125v; is that close enough?

We have a power outage now, and my whole house generator is running. The UPS on my computer keeps kicking in because the voltage is fluctuating between 124 and 126v. I tested it with two other meter and they agree. The frequency bounces between 59.9 and 60.1hz, which I assume is fine.

I was planning on having it serviced in October. Should I ask them to correct the voltage, or is that as good as it gets?

Advertisement

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,972

The bigger your whole house generator is and the lighter your current load is, the more likely you are to see voltages like that. Try flipping on some heavy loads and see whether that pulls the voltage down to a steady value.

Advertisement

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 1,154

124-126 volts is nearly perfect (only slightly high), as is 59.9 - 60.1Hz.

I don't know why your UPS is complaining.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

UPS kicks in because the AC out of most generators is not a perfect sine wave
And the UPS see it as dirty power. The only solution is get an investor style generator or bypass it. That is what I do. I just have a really good surge protector and I use that when on the Genny.
jimn01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 3,292

Where would one obtain an investor style generator?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,350

Some generators have the ability to switch between a "close enough" frequency and a dead-on 60 Hz setting. I don't know why. But I have seen the option in the setup menu and it mentioned in the manual. If I recall, in the "close enough" mode, the frequency could fluctuate between 58 and 62 Hz. It may have to do with fuel economy.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Honda is well-known for their inverter-style generators. I haven't tried using them in front of a UPS but imagine they would be okay. I would test it with an old one before buying.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...ter-generators
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,946

The output voltage of a generator will normally vary
The two main factors involved are
The amount of load
And how good is the geenies regulator
Some can be quite slow to react.
If you want the output to be more steady
Then you need a more steady load
Or a bigger base load
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom738 View Post
Honda is well-known for their inverter-style generators. I haven't tried using them in front of a UPS but imagine they would be okay. I would test it with an old one before buying.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...ter-generators
(And with a cheap load plugged into the UPS for testing before an expensive one. In fact, make sure all your stuff is backed up before testing electronic equipment on what might be an unusual sine wave.)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 117

Quote:
That is a wonderful Freudian slip. The man has a whole house generator, an inverter generator with that capacity would be very "investor" expensive.

The home computer (and TVs, etc.) will run just fine with 125volts and a "generator" sine wave. All of my home electronics function normally on Generac power. Just bypass the UPS during the outage and have the tech see if he can adjust the voltage during your next service, understanding that your UPS may still be too sensitive for generator power.

BTW the auto transfer back to utility will not interrupt your computer power enough to cause a restart or data loss.

Last edited by patmurphey; 08-19-2015 at 11:05 AM.
patmurphey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Darned spell checkers . Obviously it should have been inverter
jimn01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 34

UPSs are usually more critical of frequency than of voltage excursions for no good reason. Better UPSs are adjustable, as to their input tolerance. Generator output will be imperfect compared to utility power, but most electronic devices are designed for global usage, and third world power quality is truly terrible. So when selecting a UPS look for one that is generator friendly. Incidentally, UPS power is not necessarily pristine, there are units on the market that will not accept the power produced by and identical unit, when on battery.
Jack Hottel
JACK HOTTEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 99

Quote:
Don't banks sell them?
ptarmigan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmurphey View Post
That is a wonderful Freudian slip. The man has a whole house generator, an inverter generator with that capacity would be very "investor" expensive.

The home computer (and TVs, etc.) will run just fine with 125volts and a "generator" sine wave. All of my home electronics function normally on Generac power. Just bypass the UPS during the outage and have the tech see if he can adjust the voltage during your next service, understanding that your UPS may still be too sensitive for generator power.

BTW the auto transfer back to utility will not interrupt your computer power enough to cause a restart or data loss.
This may depend a little on what exactly is going on--what power supply design you have and how funky the utility supply is acting. When the Northeast Blackout of 2003 triggered widespread power outages, I had several servers nominally on UPS power reboot at the edge of the blackout zone. (Plus the lights went kinda wonky for a moment as the power grid struggled to stay up and eventually succeeded).
Old 08-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom738 View Post
This may depend a little on what exactly is going on--what power supply design you have and how funky the utility supply is acting. When the Northeast Blackout of 2003 triggered widespread power outages, I had several servers nominally on UPS power reboot at the edge of the blackout zone. (Plus the lights went kinda wonky for a moment as the power grid struggled to stay up and eventually succeeded).
Brownout voltage is a separate issue. Generac actually has a kit that will prevent change back to utility until voltage reaches nominal level. My suggestion bypass the UPS during the outage was based on 125volts doing no harm to the electronic equipment. The transfer switch operation back to utility will not in itself cause a reboot in my experience. The UPS would again be valuable during brownout conditions. All of this is about a UPS that is overly sensitive to voltage or sine wave from a "normal" generator. I understand that bypassing and reconnecting the UPS will likely entail supervised power interruption.

No comment from the OP since the original post?

Advertisement

patmurphey is offline   Reply With Quote