Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Share |

My Electrician Friend--Part II

Since I've received so much great advice here about my sub-panel, I figured while I at it I'm going to go over all my electric service. I should point out that my house is being renovated and at the moment operating with a temp. power setup. I plan on having a new meter box and 200 amp service installed at the house. Here's the big question: my friend installed a 3 phase panel in the basement of the house (this is feeding sub with 100 amp breaker). Is this legal or should get rid of it and buy a single phase 200 amp panel? And if the answer is yes then should we also run the ground (see other thread) to the sub in the shop?

rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Here's the big question: my friend installed a 3 phase panel in the basement of the house (this is feeding sub with 100 amp breaker).
Are you sure that it is three phase panel? If it says something like 208Y120 v 4 w on it, then it is, and if you have a single phase service it has no business being in your house. The other thing is that most single phase panelboards also say on the label that they can also be used on a 240 volt three phase corner grounded delta system, so is that what you are referring to?

If it is a 3 ph panel, I'd get rid of that and have a new 200 amp single phase panel installed. A 3 phase panel should not be used on a single phase setup because the third phase is jumpered to one of the other phases for power, and the loads are not balanced evenly among the phases and one leg will carry more current then the other leg. It screams hack job!

junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

It's definately a 3 phase panel. It came off a commercial job that I was working on. I think my friend's intent was to save me money because I had the panel "in stock."
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Master Electrician

You might as well change the panel.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote