Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

My Electrician friend...

must have been in LaLa land the day we pulled the cables from my house panel to my shop (3#2's about 60ft. in 1 1/2" pvc). At the time I didn't know diddly about sub-panels and whatnot. He forgot to add a ground. It was no picnic pulling/feeding the #2's and the conduit looks pretty full to me so I don't see sneeking the ground in is going to happen without a lot of pain. Any suggestions? Is it ok just to bury another conduit with the ground or should I bite the bullet and yank the cables and start over?
Thanks in advance.

rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

My Electrician friend...

Pull all the cables out, and size up to a 2" Conduit. 1 1/2 is on the small size for #2.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

My Electrician friend...

THWN wiring? Yeah, 1.5" may be a little small esp. if there are a lot of bends (you don't have over 360 deg, do you?). You cannot install another conduit for the ground; all conductors associated with the feeder must be in the same raceway. You could for the heck of it try to pull the ground wire (nothing lost).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

My Electrician friend...

Ouch, that was like a stake in my heart! I'm going to try sugestion #2 and sneek in the wire. It has 2 90 sweeps. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Master Electrician

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
must have been in LaLa land the day we pulled the cables from my house panel to my shop (3#2's about 60ft. in 1 1/2" pvc). At the time I didn't know diddly about sub-panels and whatnot. He forgot to add a ground. It was no picnic pulling/feeding the #2's and the conduit looks pretty full to me so I don't see sneeking the ground in is going to happen without a lot of pain. Any suggestions? Is it ok just to bury another conduit with the ground or should I bite the bullet and yank the cables and start over?
Thanks in advance.
Is this a detached building?
Are there no other metallic paths between the buildings? (water pipe, gas, intercom, telephone, coax, etc)
Is your jurisdiction on the 2005 or previous National Electric Code?

If you answer "yes" to all 3 questions, you still have a legal install.

"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Ouch, that was like a stake in my heart! I'm going to try sugestion #2 and sneek in the wire. It has 2 90 sweeps. Thanks for the info.
JOOC, what is the size of the breaker that is feeding this shop?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Old 07-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Power Gen/RS Engineer

My Electrician friend...

One other thing...

It may be possible to tie a rope or mule line to one of the #2's, pull that conductor out and then use the rope to pull it, along with your ground, through the pipe. If it is jammed though, you'll probably have to pull all three back out (and pull a rope in as you do). When you guys pulled in the 3-#2's originally, did you use any pulling lubricant? Make sure whatever you wind up doing that you have someone at one end to pull and a helper at the other end to feed the conductors in. You can buy a bottle of lube at Lowes/HD.

Good luck!
Jimmy
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #8

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
Is this a detached building?
Are there no other metallic paths between the buildings? (water pipe, gas, intercom, telephone, coax, etc)
Is your jurisdiction on the 2005 or previous National Electric Code?

If you answer "yes" to all 3 questions, you still have a legal install.

Yes, detached
Yes, no other mechanicals from house to shop.
Actually, this install was done at least 8 years ago, so I don't even know how to answer that.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #9

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
JOOC, what is the size of the breaker that is feeding this shop?
100 amp breaker.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #10

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
One other thing...

It may be possible to tie a rope or mule line to one of the #2's, pull that conductor out and then use the rope to pull it, along with your ground, through the pipe. If it is jammed though, you'll probably have to pull all three back out (and pull a rope in as you do). When you guys pulled in the 3-#2's originally, did you use any pulling lubricant? Make sure whatever you wind up doing that you have someone at one end to pull and a helper at the other end to feed the conductors in. You can buy a bottle of lube at Lowes/HD.

Good luck!
Jimmy
I think we did but I'm not 100% sure on the use of lube. I think the logical way to approach this is to try your first suggestion and if that doesn't work go with the second. If none of the above then dig it all up and start over. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #11

My Electrician friend...

Or should I just leave it all the way it is? It would be a major project redoing everything, and like John from Baltimore suggested it's a legal install. If so what about grounding the sub-panel?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Master Electrician

My Electrician friend...

In the sub panel, the neutrals (whites) and grounds (bare and green) should be bonded together - usually in the same bus bar - the same as the main service.
You also need a ground rod, or other grounding electrode.

This is a legal method, until the 2008 Code.

"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
Cow

My Electrician friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Pull all the cables out, and size up to a 2" Conduit. 1 1/2 is on the small size for #2.
Poor advice.

You didn't ask when the installation was performed to see if it met code when installed. And you want him to replace his existing conduit even though an 1.5" pvc can hold up to 6 #2 wires??

Rustyjames, follow John's advice. This used to be a VERY common installation.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #14

My Electrician friend...

John and Cow,

Thank you, you made my day!

Last edited by rustyjames; 07-20-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #15

My Electrician friend...

I was thinking (I tend to be somewhat obessive/compulsive about doing the simplest projects). Should I try to see if I can run the ground in the raceway or just leave it and go finish one of the other many projects I have going on?